All RopeKnight - All The Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, I haven't used the RK since I got it stuck( sorry no photos ) but I will use it as much as I can this week. It has sat in my rope box for a while now. We are just used to using the "old" method. I will do my best to get footage of it in use both with an arm and my Homebrew APTA.
To be honest, I think it is just another thing to get used to. Do this before that and attach this to here and......

This happened thursday, last thing. The irony:lol:

Needn't have happened, my bag, but after many big shot misses and snags, another climber retrieved it in anger....resulting in an 80ft high impact clash v brick paving. At least, the baloon held up.

IMG_20140907_170825.jpg

When the throw-bag was becoming vogue in this trade, circa mid 1990's, my friend Wes Burns was making his own, and used pennies for weight. A 50 cent bag, a dollar bag and so on. They actually worked very well. A bag would break after wear and the pennies would spill out. I used penny bags for about 6 years and got lazy of making them and started buying the store bought. Remember the big rubber throwball? That was a piece of kit.

Today the consciousness towards the effects of heavy metals in the environment is changing our reliance towards much less toxic materials for many purposes. Throw-weights for example. Practically anything can work to set a line in a tree, besides lead. In the big picture it's really not an essential ingredient for the purpose it serves.

By the way, the old copper pennies, they were preferred by Wes. He swears they threw better.

When the throw-bag was becoming vogue in this trade, circa mid 1990's, my friend Wes Burns was making his own, and used pennies for weight. A 50 cent bag, a dollar bag and so on. They actually worked very well. A bag would break after wear and the pennies would spill out. I used penny bags for about 6 years and got lazy of making them and started buying the store bought. Remember the big rubber throwball? That was a piece of kit.

Today the consciousness towards the effects of heavy metals in the environment is changing our reliance towards much less toxic materials for many purposes. Throw-weights for example. Practically anything can work to set a line in a tree, besides lead. In the big picture it's really not an essential ingredient for the purpose it serves.

By the way, the old copper pennies, they were preferred by Wes. He swears they threw better.

New meaning to pennies from heaven

Thomas as we are coming into winter and things are slowing down for some you may find it a natural time to bring the ‘Pass Around’, loaner program of the RopeKnight to a close. If you do, and you have an interest in selling that unit I would like to know. Thanks.

Just recently I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the upgraded APTA. I have some ideas on how I can launch the RK from that and believe it will work fantastically in a lot of the situations and trees I work. I will keep you posted on that. (I look forward to talking with you about some of your added weights for the RK when things get sane for you also.)

Thomas as we are coming into winter and things are slowing down for some you may find it a natural time to bring the ‘Pass Around’, loaner program of the RopeKnight to a close. If you do, and you have an interest in selling that unit I would like to know. Thanks.

Just recently I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the upgraded APTA. I have some ideas on how I can launch the RK from that and believe it will work fantastically in a lot of the situations and trees I work. I will keep you posted on that. (I look forward to talking with you about some of your added weights for the RK when things get sane for you also.)

I don't really dig that proposition much. Sort of like, "Lets stop the demo program so I can have it for a reduced price." Winter is a good time to get a demo program. More time to try things thoroughly in relaxed setting as opposed to a job site where time is money, and learning curves are expensive. Plus, with work slower in the winter, folks have more available time during bankers hours to get it to a post office and on to the next person.

Ohh shoot, I didn't even think of it like that. Funny cuzz that's exactly what I'm looking forward to - getting all my gear policed up and just how I want it to be during some down time.

Glad I said it in the open then instead of in a PM to Thomas. Whatever, just if it ever does run it's course I would love to have the chance to get a spare...at a reduced price....ha. Thanks for speaking up.

....Just recently I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the upgraded APTA. I have some ideas on how I can launch the RK from that...)

Merle, please give some careful thought to what you are proposing. Shooting rubber bullets is far less lethal than lead bullets just as shooting a soft pellet-filled beanbag will be less lethal than a pointed metal projectile of the same weight. The APTA has great power and potential, use it wisely.

Ohh shoot, I didn't even think of it like that. Funny cuzz that's exactly what I'm looking forward to - getting all my gear policed up and just how I want it to be during some down time.

Glad I said it in the open then instead of in a PM to Thomas. Whatever, just if it ever does run it's course I would love to have the chance to get a spare...at a reduced price....ha. Thanks for speaking up.

My bad. I read you the wrong way.

That's fine, thanks.
And thank you DMc I will work up carefully and only under appropriately safe conditions. Ha, we have all these amazingly well designed firearms at our disposal in this day and age. I was in a musium in Carson City Nev. looking at a carbine that had a cylinder which revolved in line with the barrel. It was all mangled....blew up and killed the inventor while he demonstrated it to John Browning. Huh....guess getting to good had some hiccups. Made me think.

Mine is still flying. It's a bit damaged but that is due to the considerable slammings that it's had onto concrete.
It will be flying high tomorrow into some big Lime trees.
Love it because it doesn't bounce like a tennis ball when it hits a branch on the way up. The 'comparable' similar shaped rubber throw weights bounce like a ball and can cost you a lot of time.

I've done a side by side test over the last few months between the Rope Knight and the 'rubber option'. I can conclude that the Rope Knight gets into the tree where I want it on the first shot 9/10 shots compared to the 'options' 5/10 shots.
This is based upon typical English trees that are smaller and therefore have branches close together than many of your big American trees. I use a Big Shot all the time.

I just thinned a circular group of 12 redwoods. Bigshoted up a hundred feet and the RK flawlessly streamed down through the branches to the ground each time. On the occasions I included the limbs of another tree I just pulled it back up and over the errant parts, little fear of a jam or tangle. I love how that thing flows through the canopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back