airwaves

SkwerI

Treehouser
I have a brand new issue that just started today. Seems that some black ex-trucker has moved in somewhere in my vicinity and set up his CB radio with a high powered amp or something. Every 10-15 minutes he 'hollers out' to anybody that might be listening, and the frequency is picked up on my computer speakers. My speakers are NOT wireless, they are plugged into my computer but they have a built in amp. I can turn off the prattle by turning off my speakers, but then I have to turn them back on any time I want to listen to something on the computer.

Does anybody here know anything about blocking these signals, or is my only option to go buy a different set of speakers for the computer and hope they won't pick up that frequency?

Brian, as a ham radio operator, I have alot of experience with this issue.

Legally speaking if he's really on a CB radio, and he's causing that much interference, his rig is probably illegal. Contact the FCC.

From your end, there's not too much you can do, but a couple things to try:

1) Move the speaker with the amplifier in it.

2) Go to Radio Shack and get a couple of RF chokes. Wind the speaker wires into them. (Unless you get a complete retard, the salesman should know what you're looking for and how to put it on.)

3) Move the computer to another location.

4) Cut the asshole's antenna line. In Small pieces. Alternatively, just pull his antenna off of the roof. If he's causing THAT much interference, even with an illegal rig he has GOT to be close... REAL close.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I knew where he was then I'd just knock on his door and ask him to turn the power down. But there's no way of me knowing other than trying to identify his voice. All I know is that he's black and he likes to chatter. :X

I just found the FCC complaint form via Google and filed a complaint, but I doubt there is much they can do unless they send somebody out with some sort of device to wander around and wait for him to hit his mic button.

The FCC can find him!!! They have hunt cars just for this!! Last I heard it was a $10k fine for running a linear amp on 11 meters. A quick stroll around the neighborhood spot the anttena fairly easily. Unless he is running a wire in the attic.
A needle through the coax cable can fix the whole problem real quick. Just make sure you get it as centered as you can!

Side note, back in the day I used to play with radios a lot!!! I had my mobile built, uppers, lowers and in betweeners, keyed 4watts and swung to 12. Behind it I had a Texas star linear that would put out 1kw. I got a wildhari and hooked it up to my bas anttena one night, BAD IDEA:lol: All the neighbors came running and the phone started ringing!!!
I had sucked the picture out of about every TV in a block and a half!! Old ground plane anntena. Never did do that again!

So it culd be wors Brian:lol:

Skwerl... when I said he's close, I mean... like within a 4 house radius, I bet.

The FCC likely won't do much at first, but make sure you document things from your end; times of day, what he says, etc.

Andy, assholes who do things like that are why licensed radio operators like myself have to deal with people who assume we're assholes who do things like that.

;)

I was young:D I did only do that once, and when I fired it up in the truck I was out in BFE!! Didn't take long for me to figure out who was opening the garage doors and making the stores doors open as I drove by! A buddy keyed it up at Burgerking once by accident, wiped out their computer system!!! They were not amused:(

But if the system was/is done right, you can run 10kw through it and never have a problem with the neighbors. Which makes me think he's not legt.

Thanks Erik, your comment about him being within 4 doors helped a lot. I thought it was a house about 2 blocks away, but I walked out and looked at my neighbor's houses and saw this from my driveway. It's only one house away from me. I'll go talk to him tonight, then if it keeps up I'll follow up on the FCC complaint.

Andy, I know... I was just sayin'. Of course... more than 4 watts is illegal, no matter how clean your system. One of the reasons I got my ticket... 1500 watts, perfectly legal.

Skwerl, you're welcome. Hope it goes diplomatically.

There wasn't anything "clean" about any of my setups!! I ran a steel whip on my truck, I tried the K-40 (great anttea BTW) but kept burning them up:? Then a Solaforce on my Suburban. Nothing like talking to Australia at 1am on a CB radio!!
I also know all about the 4watt law, but:lol:

I mellowed with age, the rig I have now, never use though, is a Ranger 2975 unlocked, love that rig!!

Hope you can get this resloved without the law Brian, but there is always the needle:lol:

What does the needle do? :?

I just went over and spoke with his wife, he wasn't home. She confirmed it was a CB, she was very apologetic and said that she'd take care of it. I don't know them other than waving as we drive by but they seem decent enough.

Hope that sorted out the problem for you Skwerl.

Perhaps the guy is just lonely......if he likes discussions, maybe send him to the treehouse...or maybe better to get to know him a little first ;).

I have two of them Antrons here; one as a spare, and one I use on 10 meters. I also have a 3 element 20 meter beam, and a 15 element Cushcraft Boomer I use for repeater work on 2 meters.

Putting a pin in the coax creates an imbalanced condition in the radio that can ruin the transmitter, Skwerl.

Could be he's unaware of the interference; radio waves travel out, not down, so he might be getting the same effects others are.

I could go on all day about RF rules and theory. ;)

I just came in from getting dinner, the neighbor was out working on his antenna with a flashlight trying to make it right. That's cool. I'll make it a point to work with him instead of just trying to shut him down.
:)

HAH! I just heard him talking with somebody on the CB about "a complaining neighbor". :lol:

Back