Airspade PPE- recommendation needed

NickfromWI

King of Splices
We do maybe one airspade job per month. We buy those tyvek oompa-loompa suits. They all basically suck. Or at least I haven't found a good one.

You guys have any recommendations? Maybe I just gotta get full body Dickies for the crew...

love
nick

NAPA here often has those full cover alls for mechanics second hand cheap. I use mine for all kinds of stuff and they breathe better. No mind you, I have not tried one on an air spade job. We never get any :lol:
If nothing else, they double nicely as a shop coverall when working on chippers and things

I don't have an air-spade but have seen John Sanborn run his several times and he wears a full face respirator, ear plugs, and a hooded rain jacket. I think the full face respirator and ear plugs are the most important part of it all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crew all have ear muffs on their helmet. I think they're better for the AirSpade because it keeps the dirt out of the nooks and crannies that the ear plugs DONT fill.

Full face respirator like this?

North-Full-Face-Respirator.jpg

I can't stand those. The plastic gets crazy scratched halfway through the first job. I think mesh is better. Protos ftw! Safety glasses of course.

Naps sells second hand cover alls?

Those respirators are pretty important. They are starting to see evidence of people developing "brown lung" from working in dirty environments. A lot of the big companies, like Bartlett, have made these required ppe for Rcx work. I also use Tyvek suits to keep the crud off of me. I hate airspade work

Back