Aerating and Inoculating for Health

What do my lordly cousins cross the pond recommend for controlling A. Mellea infected trees?

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=180
Control 
There are no chemicals available for control of honey fungus. If honey fungus is confirmed, the only effective remedy is to excavate and destroy, by burning or landfill, all of the infected root and stump material. This will destroy the food base on which the rhizomorphs feed and they are unable to grow in the soil when detached from infected material.

Brutal.

Jomo

Yea, why don't you two work out your personal issues somewhere more private.

Fair enough Stig but I think they're staying on subject, no personal abuse and although I follow it partly for the entertainment I'm learning a bit as well.

I agree. It's a lively discussion. Those that don't want to read it don't have to.

These two gents have a go at each other. But atleast both are coming armed with info and experience.

It just grows old that every thread that they both participate in end up in bickering, or it does to me, at least.
Us commies are sensitive like that.

For what it is worth, Armillaria is a HUGE problem in all the non-native conifers that they insist on growing in the woods here (That being almost all of them)
All mechanical harvesters spray newly cut stumps with a solution of Phlebiopsis gigantea spores to keep Armillaria off them.
Back in pre-harvester days, we'd carry a sprayer with urea solution, log about 10 trees, then spray the stumps.
Pretty tedious.

Which begs the question of whether aerating around the tree base with a digging bar, perhaps into healthy uninfected root sections, then spreading innoculums and fungal spores via water jetting, on a tree positively diagnosed with A mellea, is such a good idea?

When all the PhD's say one thing, and TL bravely recommends another to manage A mellea infected trees?

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and go with the biologists and pathologists with doctorates in their specialties....

Your customers should be made aware that seemingly healthy and thriving oak trees have been known to topple over after their lateral roots have been compromised by Armillaria.

And that's why the best qualified plant pathologists all agree not to take any chances with this tree killin fungi, when there're targets about.

Playin tiddlywinks with a killer can get somebody hurt, and sued. Disgraced even!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The leading text in plant pathology (consider buying it, please) does not tell arborists to run scared from microbes. UCal Davis agrees that drying infections is the right thing to do--your citation. Up by Roots' Jim Urban; Chapter 4

Armillaria is often a weak pathogen ime that gets waaay too much respect. You gotta try drying the site out before giving up.
Diseases of Trees and Shrubs pages 354-366, Dr. Sinclair describes many treatments:

1. Fracturing subsoil to allow deep drainage, as without water the disease cannot spread.

2. Amending soil to improve structure

3. Inoculating with microbes to outcompete or directly attack the pathogen.

4. Applying calcium fertilizers or soil amendment with gypsum. “…calcium calcium compounds interfere with sporangium formation and zoospore function and thus suppress infection."

5. Drenching with “suppressive fungicides to limit damage."

6. Drenching with “…resistance-inducing chemicals such as potassium phosphate.”

7. Surgery to remove inoculum. “(Armillaria sp.) derives nourishment from recently killed as well as living tissues, and it reproduces in the dead tissues."

8. Applying heat to kill pathogens and promote closure.

So you can be an arborist, or be Negative Nancy and Nervous Nellie. No more time for broken records; bye!

But does that rationalize your water canon treatment in any way shape or form TL?

No. You're essentially spreading the pathogen to downstream neighbors unaware of your contrary to the best science opinions.

That are unrecognized outside your gullible audience's expertise!

Perilously close to pushin snake oil on unwary and fully informed clients, IMO.

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that; this thread achieved its main goal of shutting off the rant on dynamic cabling, plus it showed that a minimal understanding of soil biology can help avoid overreaction to fungi.

Moving on! :thumbup:

A languid state of nonchalance certainly helps avoid overreacting to all manner of perils, incl. fungal ones. :D

Anyone remember watching footage of the 2004 tsunami and recall seeing a fairly obese tourist just standing in the water staring at his impending doom? He did not Overreact, but displayed remarkable serenity.

Back