A near miss.Very bad.

Some people think the machine can unclog itself if the cover is opened while it's running. They don't think about where the clog will go once it's freed.

my chipper is a bit different.......there is an opening on the houseing which allows chips to fall out as they lose speed in the discharge chute. If the chute gets clogged, you leave the machine running(low idle)and allow the chips to fall out. pushing them back down the chute a little. If it gets totally clogged.....shut it all down and commence to digging. I would never open any access to the houseing if it is running.

Mine clogs. I have left the top of the housing open while I started the motor up and spun the disk enough for any loose stuff that is in the bottom of the housing to fly out.

mine has plugged up a couple times when chipping snow covered brush or wet leaves

Pretty stupid guy to open that up while running.

Mines got this nifty drop door on the bottom of the chute, if it's gonna plug it'll be in the chute. The chipper hates cedar, just like the old BB250 I used to use.

My ex boss used to do that all the time regardless of the decal within a foot of the hoodpin depicting the hood slamming into your face if you opened it while running. Common sense seems to be an oxymoron when it comes to some folks.

I thought he opened it with it still spinning (he didn't notice it was spinning).

Opening it with the engine turning is pretty much a fireable offense, IMO. Same as using feet to get stuff in the feed wheels.

O.K. I'll be the asshole >>> What kind of safety training did this guy have in the first place ? BEFORE he operated the chipper ?
I ask because I have been guilty of not training people. I have hired people (friends, usually; begging for work) to help drag brush. They aren't allowed to run the chipper... drag it up, walk away. I had my boss' wife on a site under these circumstances (no training) when something went terribly wrong. The blades hit the anvil and hunks of metal started flying out the side. I was screaming at the top of my lungs for the woman to DUCK ... GET ON THE GROUND !!!... but she stood there frozen. Fortunately no injuries.
I swear everybody gets basic chipper safety training now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everything is ok, hes one of my best guys.One of the best ive ever met,
Just a slip up.
A really really bad slip up.
He will never do it again .
And this from the guy who preached to me not to ride wheelies.

Back