631hp Mustang Bullitt (not mine)

Debatable .The 351 was a push rod engine .The valve action of a DOHC is much better .It wasn't anywhere close to 600 HP ,probabley half that .If you consider though that a standard Mustang with a 302 was a shade over 200 which still seemed like a bunch .

To be quite factual if the subject is modern engines ,the 4.6 in mama Dars Merc is a step above all the 302's I've ever owned .None of them put out the power nor got the gas mileage including the Mustang engine I have in the Lincoln MK 7 LSC I have in my shop which I don't drive .

I bet the 351 was making a lot of torque though! the newer stuff is smoother and higher hp for sure. I had a 94 ford lightning with 351W and factory 4.10 gears - passed everything but a gas station. Supposedly the newest stang has an awesome 5 liter, I want one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet the 351 was making a lot of torque though! the newer stuff is smoother and higher hp for sure. I had a 94 ford lightning with 351W and factory 4.10 gears - passed everything but a gas station. Supposedly the newest stang has an awesome 5 liter, I want one.

Rob,
My best 1/4 mile time so far is 12.1@111mph. That is with the supercharger, racing slicks and custom tune. The new Mustang 5.0 guys are running in the mid 11's at 115-120mph in stock form with nothing more than racing slicks.

Talking of diesel, my groundie who disappeared surfing in Morroco for a while showed up yesterday with video of himself doing 165 mph in a chipped Audi A6 3.0tdi on the autobahn on the way to Berlin the week before his North African trip. Diesels sure have changed.

You get to talking drag racing and horsepower there's alot more to it than just that .It's kind of like any racing say saws for example .Even though in either a saw or a quarter miler you have the power you have to be able to use that power either as be the case on the strip or in the wood .Then enters into the factor of the operator or driver .That's more often the determining factor of the end results .

Rob,
My best 1/4 mile time so far is 12.1@111mph. That is with the supercharger, racing slicks and custom tune. The new Mustang 5.0 guys are running in the mid 11's at 115-120mph in stock form with nothing more than racing slicks.

Yep, we put a kenne bell and custom tune on my buddies slightly older stang and it was all in vain racing the newest stangs. Wonder what the sticker is on the new ones?

In 1979 I bought a new Mustang Cobra, 5.0 Liter, 5 speed manual tranny.

Best I can remember it would bury the speedometer in 3rd gear.

I miss that car.

My youngest brother had several Cobra jets .One was a 351 and another was a very rare 428 version .He was a Mustang nut before he had children .

Your memory is quite good Carl:D
mumsgarden029Small.jpg

Rather modded to say the least:|:

Here ya go!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PRtymuRMZiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol:

Back