440 is back

I couldn't it would be like selling one of my children if I had any. I have names for most of them. What model are you thinking about getting? I got 334, 338, 350, 346, 357, 365sp, 365, 372, 385, 3120, and a Jonsey 70e.

If you want to have some fun, send me your 350, you pay shipping each way, you will never look at that saw the same way again!

The 350 is my beater saw and the only one I don't care about kind of like the "red headed step child" which is it's name. I will keep that in mind for the future though. Maybe in a few months.

Oh the price has gone off the charts on these danged things .Like a 200T going from around 500 to 600 in about a year .It wasn't that long ago an 084 was a tad over a thousand now an 880 is about twice that ,good grief .:O

Well I was gonna start a thread asking about this, but it fits nicely here. What's the common consensus on the 440 in the market? What I'm getting at is I've got one sitting in my garage in storage that I haven't used in two years. (No timber work here in the burbs of Detroit, too much fishing, no wood stove...equals saws sitting collecting dust.) I'm thinking of selling it, but only want to sell it if I can get a worthwhile price for it. Are 440's prized with the new technology Stihls or are they outdone by the new saws and no one wants one? I think back to the 372 going away and everyone wanting one....then it came back....then it went away....etc. But it appears as though the 440 is still around and there may not be a huge demand for one. What's a used, low-hour 440 full wrap going for these days anyway? Anybody here want it?

Guy from Calif posted cost of in stock MS440 is $979 for a 28" b+c with full wrap and $30.00 less for half wrap. :O:O:O

Geezo. I spent that on my 660 wrap w/ a 36". Now may be the time to unload a used 440 for a good price!

On those used prices .I've seen them upwards of 550 on flea bay .Supposedly refurbished or in cherry condition .Most fetch 300 or a tad more . Now that could be listed 044 or 440 .

There's a couple right now that's had the snot ran out them fairly cheap .I'd guess with a usable case etc you could probabley get a decent runner using after market parts all done for 300 or so .It's a guessing game on the bay though,might be okay or just a pile of parts .That's the chance you take .

Jeff. I'd say probably not worth selling it. Honestly, it's a pro tool, fire it up now and then, keep it drained and whenever you need a chainsaw in your life it'll be there for you already in your possession.

That thing would last almost forever if it was stored properly or ran on occasion just to keep it limbered up .One thing often overlooked though is the lube oil .Given enough time the stuff will wax up .A little bit of diesel or kerosine pumped through system will solve that problem .

About the only thing that could go wrong is the carb innards getting stiff .That's only a matter of ten bucks for the kit and 20 minutes,half hour of fiddling around rebuilding it .

On a couple large saws that don't see much use, I follow the recommendations for storing a saw, you know, running it until it is dry, a teaspoon of two cycle oil in the cylinder and a few pulls to distribute it, drain the oil tank. It works great.

Usually kerosene, Rajan. I like to keep the oil and gas caps off for a spell to dry out the tanks before putting into storage. it probably doesn't accomplish much.

Madsen's is suppose to have them with 32" for $850 and PHO for $780.

He says a few changes made.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7p0-sFjzh1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back