13 Hours revamping a single web page for mobile devices

mdvaden

Treehouser
Just spent 13 hours on a single web page. I chose my main redwood page. Our son, who is pretty good with websites, code and computers, passed along an article about Google and ranking, and changes starting this year. I told our son revamping my entire site was not an option, but would consider a few pages. Eventually, I will do the home page, my drainage advice page, and the main redwood page which is already finished. The home page displays okay for now.

I actually like the change to the redwood page, and it moved most links to the top menu which is gargantuan now for content, but fairly compact. But big enough that the code needed special tweaking for phones. Our son spent about 5 hours setting up the page code and the menu, and I spent at least 8 hours moving content from the old code style o the new code style.

About 190 pages (plus) will remain the same.

Our son said it would not be as tough as I thought. But he admitted it was more work than he anticipated. Partly due to the volume of links that moved to the menu. I'm glad we did it though, because the page needed something to condense it and make navigating a few steps simpler.

I will tackle the drainage page because its one of my main draws for estimates. I actually get a lot of landscaping work from it, because most folks problem is not French drain needs, its surface compaction and tweaking of the grade and layout.

Anyone else upgraded part or all of their website for mobile devices lately?

I think for tree companies at any rate it's pointless fretting too much about your website.
Three or four pages is enough, home, what you do, pictures and contact us.
Most people just go to it, see what you do and get your number.

I agree. I had Carol from tree buzz do a down and dirty site. Some pics (needing upgrades), some info about the owner and what we do, and a contact form.

I personally dont care for any mobile sites. She talked me into making one available. But dont care for them looks wise or using them. I understand their need tho.

Voriotree.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, but I guess I need to :/

I think it boils down to an individual need and choice. For example, I have a photography site, and I don't care what Google does for ranking, or if people look with phones at that one. People can still search specific for it. But its a site that I pretty much keep for reference and drive people too with links or my business card. And phones can still view older sites if they enlarge and scroll around.

So I can see plenty of companies skipping revamp if they choose.

The one thing I thought was nice for my one large page, is the page, images and content resize on small devices, or even computer screens if the browser window is narrowed.

It also took snagging a new code from Google Adsense so the small banner ads resize also.

I opted not to when we did a revamp of the site but so many are using phones now for everything...

Back