Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta accident -- climber dies

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl2 View Post
    But the competitions have so little association with real life work sites. The only part of the competitions I thought was worthwhile was the work climb. I was a rather competent climber back in the day but I wasn't worth a hoot at any of the other events except the work climb. I bought a slingshot because I can't throw a throwline. I have ascenders because I can't footlock. And if I needed to rescue another climber I'd be strapping on my gaffs and running up the tree instead of all the stupid crap they want you to do in the competitions.
    I think most of us who are used to SRT can get up that tree a lot faster on a line than on spurs.
    Tecniques have changed a lot since you were climbing.
    Deyr f,
    deyja frndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dmr um dauan hvern.

You are right, Stig, but I've always been surprised that spur climbing has such a backseat in real world rescue talk. It is so industrial and easy to teach, needs only occasional practice to maintain proficiency, has a low cost and dedicated tools that could be kept separate and requires no pre-setup. Seems it would be the fastest, safest way for quick tree entry and rescue.

I suppose if you ask a greenhorn to spike up relatively skinny tree to do a rescue it’s doable, a large trunked hardwood that needs skill to flip up is a big ask.

I’ve never used srt, likely never will.
    Im condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I'd be using it if I was still climbing.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

The spikes are likely going to be handy on a spar with few limbs or stubs. Work positioning.

But the diameter of the spar could certainly be a factor for flip lining up.
    Gary

Most non-tree climbers are far more comfortable being hard linked to a tree with spurs and flipline than they are hanging from a rope. There is also no need to guess at setting a line in a good safe location, you can just climb up and see what will and won't work.

And then there is this USFS training program for those institutes that need federal approval.
    https://www.fs.fed.us/treeclimbing/

I did a tree recently next to a Firehouse....

I yelled over the fence and asked if he had to, could he rescue me without his ladder or truck....

HE SHOOK HIS HEAD and just kept washing his fire truck. SFFD.....

I don’t expect anyone to ever rescue me.... unless another climber on my crew can get me.

Lordy!

I climbed for years before ever even considering the idea of aerial rescue. From the very first time I went up a tree I fully 100% understood that I was completely on my own up there and nobody would ever be able to rescue me if something happened. I always just assumed every tree climber thought the same way. It's part of the appeal of doing it, like mountain climbing or scuba diving.

If anybody goes into this field thinking they will always have a backup to rescue them if they screw up then they are in the wrong line of work.
    -Brian

I never liked it.