Clinometer, measuring tool for tree heights. Suggestions?

Good ones are not cheap...but for accuracy worth anything useful, you haven't much choice. Suunto is a well respected brand.

Stick trick???has made me a few bucks.
My grundie likes to bet me on the fell and where the top lands.
I'm around 9 out of 10.easy money!!:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll start with an App. Still sorta old-school about some things, so it doesn't come to mind, always. Thanks. Any APP recommendations?

Boy, smart phones are smart.

Now, Burnham, where is that thread of yours, or the one in which you shared the measuring technique, using a clino?

I need to measure tree heights, not just if a tree will fit in a lay. For this root disease permit exemption something or other, I will need to figure whether each tree's height x 150% is more or less than the distance to the school.

Seems I saw that unit for $1200 or bucks some years back, kept on walking!

There are still laser clinometers out there that cost that much but they don't do a better job. With the Forestry Pro I can range and get the accurate heights of any tree within 1000', all while standing in the same spot. It is a great tool if you are doing tree inventories.

Sean, if you just need to get the heights of a few trees, all you need is a protractor and a tape measure. Sight down the 45º mark to the tree top and measure the distance from the spot you are standing to the tree. Add the distance from your eye to the ground. This is simple as long as the ground is mostly level. If not get a clinometer.

Would the clinometer help me track if a tree is developing an increasing lean?

I often watch several trees in my daily driving and sometimes think they are leaning more...the ones leaning towards roads and houses catch me eye the most. I have wondered about a way to accurately document a lean and track it...could be a good way to convince a home-owner they need to remove certain trees...or the city.

I have called our local county road department several times to tell them of leaners that are threatening power lines or roads and they have removed the trees...except one last year that they said wasn't their responsibility...HO didn't really care either...that one fell a few months later (dead oak, about 40 feet)...took out HO brick mailbox and blocked the road.

A clinometer or a laser rangefinder could detect movement from a fixed location if you had a base measurement to compare with. But I would think that with that much movement failure would be eminent. Setting a hard point, like a small eye screw, that you can hang a plum bob from, can detect small movement and also verify a stable condition.

Back