MS460 stalls

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
So I apologize in advance for the poor reporting of the symptom. Its one of those rare things that doesn't show up consistently, and I've not been using the saw a lot lately.

Its got a dual exhaust, modded muffler on it, had it since I bought it. Runs fine and Eats most all of the time. Seems like, IIRC, that it will be cutting fine, but on the rare occasion, when running back down to idle from full throttle, the saw stalls. It will restart and run fine without stalling. We have had this happen a few times and thought "out of gas", but its not.

Any ideas on where to start.

I'm concerned about running it and having some kind of leak someplace or something where I could damage the saw by not getting whatever is wrong with it fixed. A lean seizure or something catastrophic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I"ll check. I don't recall having replace it. Maintenance has slipped with 1.5 jobs, the pregnancy/ new baby. Started tearing into saws yesterday.

If you have been struggling for maintenance time, I'd replace fuel filter as Willie suggests, spark plug, clean & retune. THEN if it continues look for problems

DingDingDing. We have a winner. The spark plug.

I was not starting with the simple stuff.

The plug was loose and worn. From the feel of it, seemed like some carbon build-up on the threads was keeping the spark plug kinda tight, and the compression from dropping off noticeably. I don't use that saw much, as I do the in-tree work mostly.

A new plug was sitting in the truck, just waiting to go in somewhere. Now to resupply. Best to keep extras on hand.

I"ll also check the fuel filter and see how it looks.

Thanks for reminding me to start with the basics.

That's the third loose plug I've heard about in about a month .I had one on the 024 ,Tom had one blow completely loose on a 441 and now this one .

At least he didn't take it to the stihl dealer who he does alot of business with and they pulled the cord and told him it was shot. He bought a replacement on the spot. I learned a valuable lesson at this guys expense!

No, this was his own diagnosis...still a valuable lesson for the rest of us. Check the simple stuff first.

Well that's exactly what Tom did on the 441 ,bought another one .Once I got hold of it I had it running in ten minutes .Now he has two 441s' which he needed any way .

ms461.jpg

Help to line it up to the one proper orientation do as not to break the cap, I imagine.I bet there are marks on the tanks.

The damned o-rings swell up on those things making them almost impossible to close .Fact I'm going to peel one off one of the 200's so I can find out what size it is .The caps are about 8-9 bucks at a dealer but o-rings are free to me .Even if you had to buy one it couldn't be more than a half a buck .

Al, that is probably not a fault of the flippycaps but of the lousy gasoline you can get in the US.
I have NEVER encountered that problem on any of my saws.

Yes it's the ethanol laced gasoline .In further examination what I found was the o-ring had hardened up more than a new one of which as I type I have 6 in my pocket .

In just a short while I'll reinstall one .My thoughts are the ethanol caused the o-ring to harden just as it does the gasketing and diaphragms of the carb .Thus if you can't compress it with the cap it's difficult to get the cap back in place .I'll report back in a short with the size it takes .

New o-ring worked like a charm .Either 1/8" by 1.25 OD or .m3 by m32 would work .

These are like 100 for 7 bucks through McMaster Carr .

Your post has me thinking that I should maybe stop making fun of all those Americans who constantly gripe about the flip tops. ( (Which I personally am very fond of).
I run alkylate fuel only, so my rings stay soft and the caps work just fine.
Yours have the O-rings harden up and don't.

And here I thought y'all simply had no manual dexterity;)

That, too. :D

The only ones I have the least bit of trouble with are the 200/200T. Had gas caps needing to be replaced on both. Stihl is inconsistent about placing register marks on the saws and caps, also. Complicates things for us undexterous colonials :).

Back