Teufelberger's new Saw Lanyard

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I saw they released a new saw lanyard this week. What is that little bag on the end? It could be a blood stopper kit or the releasing part of the lanyard.

It looks annoying though. Too bulky. I would expect their setup to be more streamlined than what Buckingham could come up with, so I'm thinking that bag MIT be something extra.

Any thoughts?

http://goo.gl/XGuK9

love
nick

6ced986c-a4e4-203e.jpg

I assumed it was something to do with the break away function. I won't be getting one. I like my saw lanyards simple and cheap. That one will be neither.

I'd throw that rig out of the tree. My preferred break away lanyard, when I ran one, was the simple cord style job from American Arborist.

A two-stage breakaway.

Who has had their breakaway activated (broken) pulling their saw to the ground?

Who's had the saw pulled from their hand(s), but just dropped onto their lanyard with the wood, without breaking away? How'd that feel?

I think that I've only had to fight my saw out of a backcut once when I was double cutting a humboldt-face with a 24" or 28" bar, and put the bar tip through the center of the hinge or just was overlapping with the second cut above the first a bit or sumthin'. Could have been a bit more careful.

Otherwise, so far, careful cutting has kept me from a saw snatcher. If I'm cutting/ double cutting with a big saw aloft, I've got a key biner as the weak link on that lanyard.

Seems like a good product if you want the latest greatest everything, but far from necessary, on first glimpse. Just 'cause they can engineer it and market it, does not, a need make.

I don't quite understand the write up on that item. Saying the shock absorbing cord will release as a first response before the greater tension causes it to break away. Is that saying that something has to release initially, rather than being a bungee like affair there in the strap? The bungee works fine for general purposes in my breakaway lanyard, never had the pack release and drop the saw.

Who's had the saw pulled from their hand(s), but just dropped onto their lanyard with the wood, without breaking away? How'd that feel?

I'm embarrassed to say it but I have, and it sucked. I was doing snap cuts on 6ft sections of 10" diameter black cherry. I went too deep on the back cut and the piece went over. The kerf took the saw with it.

It was when I first started climbing and my first time using snap cuts. The saw did come out of the kerf while it was falling but only after yanking me down and into the spar like a mofo.

Still embarrassing but a good lesson learned. I was glad I had a breakaway that day and I still use the buckingham one now.

To Woodworkingboy:
The bungee in the usual chainsaw lanyards has nothing to do (almost) with the shock absorber.
It's just a convenient system to reduce the slack in the lanyard, so the sawchain doesn't catch it all the time. The bungee stretches too easily, it's the tubular sling which holds the saw's weight. And that's far bellow the shock loading from the saw's and chunk's fall.
So, for the damping part (during normal use and just before the break away), the bungee is actually nearly out of the equation.
In fact, the real first answer in damping the falling saw is the saddle and ... you. Then the small pouch, and in last resort, the final breakaway.

The small pouch seems to be a sling folded and sewn on itself, like the shock absorber on the safety lanyard for building rope work It's more stream-lined usually though.

Not sure if what I have is the Buckingham or not, but it has the ring that enables the saw to be hooked to your belt in a convenient position for attaching and removing, in addition to the main attachment. That seems pretty essential on a lanyard, unless you rig up something yourself. The ring, the bungee, and the breakaway feature, I can't find fault with the one that has been on the market. Maybe the ring could be larger....if one wanted to be critical.

Hey..another new guy, AdamP! Welcome

I had the breakaway deploy once, chunking down a Norfolk pine, had to dump my 200t, well, basicly drop it, in order to push the chunk...the sewed breakaway thingy unravelled, but didn't completely separate, I guess it helped reduce the jerk to the jerk doing the cutting, at least the saw didn't go express to the bargain basement.

Over here there is a fancy bungee lanyard, I think (don't quote me) by new age arbor, but its like $60...!

Meh.... I think I will just try my hand at making them .... Trying some splicing out on non critical stuff :)
Took the metal off a nicked lanyard I had lying about.

Attachments

• IMG_20120518_180303.jpg
    IMG_20120518_180303.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11
Back