Unforeseen Costs Associated with owning a CDL truck

brendonv

Tree Hugger
So I'm trying to prep myself, get ducks in a row, etc for owning a CDL truck.

I'm wondering what costs should be expected differently from owning a non CDL truck. I'm not talking maintenance, either.

What is the the fuel tax sticker about, need it no matter what, or just interstate travel?

Obviously need a CDL.

DOT Inspections.

Ins./ Registration price increases I'm sure.

No need for the IFTA sticker in your case; you're not an over-the road carrier. Interstate travel is just fine.

CDL only if it's a CDL weight truck.

Federal Annual and DOT numbers... not necessarily.

Insurance and reg will be more, but not bad.

The big hassle with CDL trucks is if you use them interstate. For intrastate use of a privately owned truck the requirements are minimal. For specifics on the DOT number you can look up the info on the DOT website. For my situation I wasn't required to get a number but I could if I wanted to. No cost for that. As a sole proprietor/ private owner working intrastate I have no need or knowledge of driver's logs or any of the other crap truckers have to put up with. My tags run me almost $400 per year and every time something breaks on my truck it costs me $1000-$1500. A tow is $300-$400. Shop your towing companies ahead of time and keep the number taped to the roof of the cab above the sun visor.

In california you have to get a CA number, ;if you had more than one truck they would all have the same number. It's one number for your company and you have to have it on all of your trucks. If your comp is cancelled then your CA# is tagged and if your truck is stopped and an employee is driving it you are in trouble.

I would suggest you go down to you state DOT enforcement office and tell them your thoughts and ask what will be required. Here my trucks run about $500 each per year for tags. Need annual inspection sticker, belong to drug and alcohol consortium ($100 bucks a year and $65 per test), no log book required within 100 air miles (if you meet 3 criteria) but then you need to keep a time card, written post trip inspection reports, background checks (yes, even on yourself), quarterly mileage taxes etc, you will want to know what is needed and the horses mouth is the place to get informed. you have nothing to lose by going in since you have no truck now

Just remove the vehicle ID plate from the door jamb and replace it with one from an F-150. That way you won;t need a CDL. Cheapest and bestest fix....just kidding!

Just remove the vehicle ID plate from the door jamb and replace it with one from an F-150. That way you won;t need a CDL. Cheapest and bestest fix....just kidding!

so since we were out of town it was only fair to be pulled over by that towns chp, commercial officer..who went all over our 1 ton, and found it to be 11oo lbs more than its registered weight, so we were cited and told to re register at the correct weight, apparently there was another tag in thee truck besides the one from the factory i was going off of...yeah...more $ out the window... cdl's are great, BUT IT CHANGES THE AMOUNT YOU CAN LEGALLY DRINK B4 OPERATING ANY VEHICLE!!! just thought you should know even in your car you are a cdl driver

You are a CDL driver no matter what you are driving. Remember that. No pleading speeding tickets, no defferment, and if you are in an accident even thru no fault of your own you can be held toa higher standard.

Yeah, in Oregon .04 is considered dui for a CDL holder, even CDL permit holder. My wife says I drive like a grandma and I would be lucky to drink a dozen beers a year so it doesn't bother me

If you are buying a rear mount. Why not try to find an under cdl truck. You can still carry the mini on the bed. And now that you have the 250 towing the log trailer will keep you under cdl all around.

His log trailer is a CDL class A trailer. Even if it's hooked to a Civic.

Of course one might achieve better mileage with a Civic. Hills would be rough though. Gotta love those regulations. Aways something to cost you/make the state more money.

We tow Mike's log trailer behind the 3500, and it's still under CDL.

What's the GVWR on the trailer?

I have been told that once you put signs on your vehicle, even if it's a car or small pickup, that you can be required to hold a CDL to drive it. I don't believe it, myself, but more than one person has told me that. Having signs on a vehicle and using it for a work vehicle does not make it a commercial vehicle, I wouldn't think. Can't you see the mailman having to take a test in a semi to qualify for a CDL so he can carry the mail in a Civic?

Having work signs on a vehicle only means it's a commercial plate and insurance (because it's used for business vs personal use); it does NOT make it a CDL vehicle.

It depends what the GVWR on the log trailer is. His GVWR on his F250 is probably somewhere between 9000-10,000 lbs. Even though his trailer is 10,001+ lbs it all comes down to his GVCWR. If he is under 26,001 lbs combined he is under CDL.

You are a CDL driver no matter what you are driving. Remember that. No pleading speeding tickets, no defferment, and if you are in an accident even thru no fault of your own you can be held toa higher standard.

I have a CDL and I pleaded down my last speeding ticket.

Back