Just Porting

• Thread starter Timberwolf
  • Start date
  • Replies 68
  • Views 9K
T

Timberwolf

Hey guys, sorry I dropped out of sight for a bit, did not follow the ball when the site switched around.

Besides that just been plain busy, Trying to keep the old farm together, build a little cabin, small barn, repaired a couple written off atvs, cut a bunch of wood, chased deer about the woods for a couple weeks, guided some canoe trips plus a couple more instructor certs, souped up a bunch of saws, managed not to get fired or divorced and just finnished xmas shopping!

Just a few pics of a 460 I was working on last couple days...

Maybe get a good discussion thread going on porting and performance.

Attachments

• 460-exhaust-port.jpg
    460-exhaust-port.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 460-puting-it-together.jpg
    460-puting-it-together.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 15
  • 460-piston-windows.jpg
    460-piston-windows.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 460-ceramic-prep.jpg
    460-ceramic-prep.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 18
  • 460-intake.jpg
    460-intake.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 460-exhaust-roof.jpg
    460-exhaust-roof.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 460-base-and-popup.jpg
    460-base-and-popup.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 460-piston.jpg
    460-piston.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
First of all, glad to see you back. :D

I see some light scratches on the piston skirt, how old (used) is the saw?

The port work looks brilliant.

What is the coating on the top of the piston and how is that applied?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to be back. Saw is new, likely just tested a couple minutes, never seen any work. What looks to be sratches is more just a little breaking in on the factory finnish.

Piston crown is ceramic, likely some sort of alumina mix in a binder it goes on wet like a paint, then a cure and bake. I'v had to tweak at the original formula and process to get it to work but seem to be getting it down. I really have not made just this single change in isolation to see how much difference it makes, but certainly when put together with the other changes it's a good thing.

Would be cool to see a before and after pic of the porting.

Will do, I did not snap any pics of this 460 before hand but have many others of the 460 stock. Likely will be into another 460 in the new year so will make sure to get it before and after.

Dads doing fine, likely see him in the next week or so.

Really looking forward to following this thread. Might just have to get me a project saw and follow step by step.

Hey guys, sorry I dropped out of sight for a bit, did not follow the ball when the site switched around.

It will be nice to follow some cool builds again Brian. I really missed reading this type of stuff from YOU in the past. :thumbup::beerchug:

It was more fun to read when it was my badass saw whooping Brian's(Skwerl) pansyassed homeowner sized beginner saw though.

I'll try to get some good stuff posted. Hopefully have some new software for dyno after the holidays, have the flow bench set up in basement and a few saws to play with.

the 3rd pic is a bit of a before and after, the piston window on the left has been cleaned out and the one on the right is factory with quite a bit of casting flash. One thing I want to do is see how much flow difference clean up of the piston makes. I'm sure it is a good thing but would be nice to know if it adds up to real gains or just window dressing... punn intended.

LOL... smaller the picture gets the less goofy.

Good stuff, looking forward to it also. Could you explain how the timing wheel works? Someone else did that for me but I have lost track

Brian - I'm so glad to see you on this forum. It is so nice to see a true master showcase his work. I'd be MOST interested to see the before and after pictures of that 460 your going to be getting into after christmas. The more pictures the better !!!

The ceramic crown coating is very interesting. BTW...how much pop-up?

Pop up just over 0.020in. Still need to give the saw a good run, expecting compression to setting in somewhere about 190psi.

Been busy the last few days but plan to get back to finnish off some saw stuff over the holidays.

Good stuff Brian and nice to see you over here too. I'll be in touch re: porting :)

Got a chance to try a few cuts with another 460 project, first cuts the saw ever made so a little break in may help it yet. 8 pin factory round chain.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yJXwic-wNHQ?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yJXwic-wNHQ?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back