Tree felling vids

I took a bunch of looks at the BBC vid..
when he gets into the back cut on the far side at the beginning of the clip around 2:25, looks like the back cut opens a tad and if you look real close you can see the live tree to the left sway just a bit.. then he comes around the near side with the back cut and the live tree to the left clearly moves significantly just as the BBC goes off... then as the BBC snag falls, it takes out the entire live tree to the left...

SO it looks to me as though the tree on the left impeded the movement of the snag... the hinge started to move but couldn't, which leaves the tree with more front lean and no place to go, giving enough time for all that force to split the trunk along what looks like an old defect.

Damn if I didn't already say that. :rockon:

Yeah, but stuff we do every day's getting boring. I'd love to get out there in the woods to stretch a few of those pigs out. Maybe without the running for my life part. :lol:

Some of yesterday's fun
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ER0KWpmxGHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Thud". Nice vid, Willie, and looks like a beautiful day. No hardheads for wedges? I like the kind with the steel plugs, not the full steel cap. " Hardhead juniors", I think they were called. Lighter and still drive well. They might not be sold anymore, so i make my own.

These wedges work well enough, and I get them cheap here in town. It was a beautiful day!

You've moved up in the world since I visited you, Willie.
I sure wish I could afford to have someone pound my wedges for me:lol:

Nice day for sure, trees like that and plenty of room to fall them. What more could one wish for.

Pretty cheap wedges, but I've messed around with making them better. So far so good. Only takes a few minutes.

Attachments

• wedge.jpg
    wedge.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 61
  • wedge1.jpg
    wedge1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 62
Haha, I probably just hogged his trees and let him pound the wedges :D I love working up there!
I didn't even throw a chain!

How'd you do that second one, Jay?

Cory, I make a square slot with a hollow chisel wood mortiser, it cuts plastic no problem, then epoxy in a chunk of steel. I guess it goes in about an inch and a half or less. Looking inside a hardhead junior that was professionally made, they must form the wedge over the steel plug, because it spreads out to a wider dimension inside the wedge, compared to what is exposed at the end. That way more locks the plug in place. Still, my simpler type are working quite well. I like the junior type with a steel plug, over the end capped hardheads.

Back