Storm work rates compared to normal hourly.

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
So we have had some storm work. I have a regular hourly rate/ day rate that I use. I have an established HOA customer who said, come out and get it done, and send the HOA the invoice.

How do you handle such a billing situation to be fair to both sides, and continue a good relationship?

A big cottonwood fell, partially knocking over some other trees, and some other partially uprooted on their own.

These trees are in the greenbelt, so no clean-up just keep it out of the fenced yards.

Tipped, splitting alder laid up into a hemlock, tipped cherry, tipped alder, tipped doug-fir. Plus a couple little trees.

All the hairy stuff was done today. A little bit of non emergency stuff to do on Wednesday.

I am curious about this as well. I've had one storm damage call, I charged between 1.5 and 2 times my normal rate for the first day to get the tree off the house and cleared the walkway (a little over a half day solo, 700), then normal rate to come back a few days later to clean up the rest of the branches and trunk (Me + another worker and a chipper, 1200). I'm still trying to get a handle on the pricing myself.

Time and a half during normal business, double after hours and weekends

We charged 1.5 x during the last storm response we had 2 months ago. Some of that was after hours and weekends. 2 x kinda makes sense for that... We are working our tails off and sacrificing.

We do pay our employees 2 x for storm response work for what its worth, even if it's during normal hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm fixed bid most times, too.

Funny you should mention storm work being high pay for the employees. Much more than less, as the climber, I've been doing all the dangerous work (greenbelt trees and forest tree, no clean-up), while Gary mostly stands around monitoring the failed stump, adding tension to the lines as the tree starts to stand back up, etc (aka, easy work).

I upped my rate to my most established customer for storm work...but then I had to fly from Australia to Bermuda!
I didn't go as much as 1.5, but it was definitely more...they paid for the airfare though.

Back