Mini van as estimate vehicle?

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Can a tree company pull off a minivan as an estimate vehicle?

With 4 kids needing transportation and me being the driver, a minivan is in my future. I currently use my Sierra 2500 as my estimate vehicle but I can't take 4 kids to school in that. We currently have a van but it's my wife's car. Our plan is for me to park my truck at work and take over the van and have my wife get a new car. I am thinking about putting company decals on and van and using that. It would be convenient for me, but I am concerned about looking less professional..... :o

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Why not? Your attitude, professionalism, and reputation sell more work then anything. Ive done estimates in a wide array of unconventional vehicles that were handy at the moment. A clean vehicle, maybe throw a company license plate on the front for a polished look, and you are set, IMO. A mini van is a family vehicle. If a customer frowns and gets a distaste for the fact that you are a family man, then you don't need their business anyhow.

Any vehicle can be an estimate vehicle. My buddy routinely knocks out his running around bidding on jobs riding his Gold Wing.

The important thing is that YOU present yourself as a Professional. What you drive (but no wrecks!) has little to do with getting the work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope you guys are right. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

we have a full sized van, and had magnets on it, we got so many calls from people seeing it at the china buffet, or my wifes shirt, its all about your service and professionalism, people loved that I had kids, and they few that didn't, well I didn't do their trees....

I think the mini van is a grand idea. I've driven my moms mini numerous times to bids. When I wheel up on the golf cart or the bicycle, I give everyone the green speech!!

Better get a panel van with no windows. Because I don't want to see you rubbing MB once let alone three times

Lol

I'll be doing a bid in the AM in my Saturn....you gotta do what you gotta do. I agree that what matters is YOU and how you present yourself.

You'll be fine...the genie asses say so!

I doubt you'll regret it. Go for it.

Might even serve as a conversation starter...

"A minivan? I expected a truck?!"
"Well, my wife got mad when I hauled the kids around in the bed of the truck."

Client thinks, "I like this guy. He's a family man."

You're hired!

I take Kat's Chevy Astro with the kids in it all the time. I sell as much tree work out of that van as I do the work truck. Kids included. Most people respect you teaching the kids work ethic by having them with you. Teaches the kids interaction with other as well. My kids love going consultations and estimates. Every HO loves how polite they are and how well behaved. Everyone gets something out of it.
I got a call the other day about how wonderful it was to see an husband and wie having the kids at work teaching them work ethic and letting them participate. Of course I choose what jobs they go to. But both boys have run the mini on jobs cleaning up and get tips from the customers.

I think a minivan would probably help. Not a huge amount but maybe a little.

When I think of a guy driving a minivan consciously some things that come to mind.. family man, not ego driven, responsible, level headed, etc. All good things if you ask me.

Plus when the kids aren't in there you can fit TONS of stuff in them. It's not quite a truck bed with a cap on it, but it's still more useful than a big SUV!

I should send these posts to my buddy, he drives his chip truck to est. currently. killer on gas. says he's gonna get a pickup for est. I think he should use the economic car he has but he doesn't think people will take him seriously.

I should send these posts to my buddy, he drives his chip truck to est. currently. killer on gas. says he's gonna get a pickup for est. I think he should use the economic car he has but he doesn't think people will take him seriously.

If I'm showing up in a Subaru, for example, I'll casually mention that we can do as little as they want or as much as they are after, log hauling, crane options, etc.

I don't think a baby seat in the back seat hurts anything.

On the family man note, and being taken seriously, when people mention that "safety is most important" to them, I wholly agree, mentioning that it will be me in the most dangerous position of anybody, I have a baby and wife to go home to, and I have all my fingers and toes. Usually gets a little laugh, and my point across that we will be dependable and safe.

It depends on your market. Here we have tons of refinery workers, oil field and off shore. Everyone drives trucks, even half of the women. Dad has a 99 Carolla that he uses to get parts, but if he bids in it, forget about it. If we bid in my F-250 or dads GMC 3500 we get over 80%

Back