Poison Ivy eye splice

maggies dad

TreeHouser
Ok boys and girls, I am going to try and learn how to splice some Poison Ivy. I need a tight eye splice, and no I have never done it before. So I am open to any and all insight and direction.
First off, What fids ect do yall like. I dont want to break the bank, but if I can figure this out this wont be my last splicing work so I dont want junk.
So lay it on me guys, what ya got???

You wanna start with a wire fid. Piano wire, a coat hanger....any smooth stiff wire will work. Just fold it in half and wrap the pokey ends around a dowel or a carabiner. Then you're in business.

The only other specialized thing you'll need is stout needle and something to work as stitching twine. Everything else is stuff you have around the house or can get at the hardware store: sharpie, measuring tape, masking tape.

Once you have all your tools, report back and we'll get you started on the directions.

lifted this pic off the buzz...

165280-fid1.jpg

I thought someone had made a youtube vid on the ins-n-outs of making a wire fid. Can't seem to find it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, easy enough. Thanks! It will be tomorrow before I can start cause I am at work and they wont give us a break. Ill be back!

Ok, so here are a few questions, # 1 how long is a fid length. If you watch a splicing video all measurements are done by fid length. I have a homemade fid, so I do not really know what length my measurements should be.# 2 Is Poison Ivy done with a class 1 splice? What makes it a class 1 splice? Is there a difference between the splice done for say a 12, and 24 strand rope? If these are silly questions I am sorry, I am just new to this.:D
Thanks
Jeff

Don't worry about asking silly questions Jeff!

If you use the instructions I posted earlier you won't need to worry about fid lengths. All the measurements are done in rope diameters. I highly recommend these instructions as they are the clearest and easiest to follow that I have found for double braid splices. They are made by master splicer Brion Toss.

Poison Ivy is a class 1 splice.

I'm no heck at splicing, but you may want to practice first on a piece of Stable Braid, because it is a lot easier to splice than the PI, using the same method (just different dia =different measurements). I have found burying the core on PI to be a PITA, but my skillset isn't very good.

Pelorus, I wish I had done some stable braid to start with, I have been at it for about 4hrs, and have been jumping between a few different sites to figure it out. Most of the written text is good, but without good pics I am lost. I finally got it close, but am going to have to finish it up tomorrow. It is so tight that I cant get the last inch to bury. How tight should it be? I really think I may cut it off and practice on stable Braid then try it again. I accidentally pull up 3 strands of core, and they are right in the eye. I didn't pull them out just up, how bad will that hurt the strength of the eye? It makes alot more sense now, which is good. I would really like to get good at this, but I need a lot of practice . Rumination, Those instructions helped, my biggest problem was figuring out which strands to cut for the taper. Someone needs to take some good pictures of that little process. Well, thanks guys, I am trying to get some pics uploaded now, so please comment and tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thanks again
Jeff

My first PI splice took a couple of hours too, and it was a bit of a death struggle.
The snare on the Toss wand succumbed quickly, and then it was all up to Mr. Coat Hanger & co.
I seriously debated hooking up a come-a-long to get the damn core to come a long.

Ok, no dice on the pics, When the wife gets up in the morning Ill get her to do it. I am a computer moron!

I was thinking my pickup and tie it to the barn! About 20 mph should work.:tomcat:

Nick's Tou-Tube video of splicing Blue Moon (same as PI) makes it look so EASY!
Makes me wonder if he marinated that rope in WD40 or Palmolive Dish Soap for. Couple of hours beforehand.
And do not combine Nick's video with Toss's instructions (going back and forth from one to the other). Thy both make perfect sense, and both work, but I got screwed up bad somehow by trying to follow both at the same time. :(

Thats exactly what I did! Look at Toss's to clarify something on the video, then back to the video.. Bad ideal for sure! I got so confused when Nick says stuff like "about an inch" or 10 maybe 15 inches, It has to nice to be that good and make it look so easy! My hat is off to him !!!

I watched that video so much, it didn't seem fair that my rope wouldn't cooperate like his did.
Watch itfor a minute, hit Pause, and try to duplicate what he did (in a couple of seconds), and twenty minutes later, got to watch another step; pause, replay, pause, sweat some more, remove more clothing, swear under my breath that that Nick guy is pulling a fast one, give up for awhile(too stressful), watch some more. Yikes.

tn.jpeg tn.jpeg I think the eye is going to be too tight, but I am going to try and get it closed up anyway, I have a few more pics, but me and this computer are having a disagreement at the moment!:deadpc:

Well crap! thats the same pic! Well you get the ideal.

Those pics are tiny but it does look like you'll either end up with a nice tight eye a peephole. :)

If it makes you feel better, you certainly wouldn't be the first to make one too tight. Just make sure you write down your measurements so you can work toward the prefect size eye and have a nice recipe for the future.

My PI splice took me a good hour and a heck of a lot of pulling to get the final bury. I had to resort to tapping it with a soft malet, massaging the throat, and picking at it with a fid (meyerchin marlin spike) to loosen it up.

Ok, so here are a few questions, # 1 how long is a fid length. If you watch a splicing video all measurements are done by fid length. I have a homemade fid, so I do not really know what length my measurements should be.# 2 Is Poison Ivy done with a class 1 splice? What makes it a class 1 splice? Is there a difference between the splice done for say a 12, and 24 strand rope? If these are silly questions I am sorry, I am just new to this.:D
Thanks
Jeff
2 answers more :
1 - to get a link between the different instructions : 1 fid = 21 x rope's diameter
2 - class 1 splice is the usual one, for the common ropes braided with PP, nylon, polyester fibers.
the class 2 splice is for the high module PE fibers like dyneema. It gives a much more longer bury to overcome their slippery properties.

Marc, thanks, that helps! Adam, I wish I had thought of writting it down, but I actually had to change some stuff a few times, so I dont really know the measurements. The next one I am going to be a little more careful to measure. Flushcut, I dont know if I can get it loose enough to slip up any more, I guess I didn't taper it enough, and now it's really tight. I am not to worried about saving it, It has been a good learning experience. I will most likely cut it off, practice on some other rope, and then give it another go.

Back