Whale Story

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
This is most excellent! Must see!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tcXU7G6zhjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very cool, good find. Quite a creature.

That was great, Butch! This is the time of year that the Gray Whales begin their trek south to have their babies in the Sea of Cortez. So for the next several months we can see the whales from shore. I've been seeing them everyday lately. They come in pretty close in certain areas around here so a person can really get a good look. Mostly you just see their spouts blowing and their long backs slithering through the water and their big tail fin at the end. I've been here all my life and have yet to see a whale breach. They rarely do it. I hope sometime I am lucky enough to see it. Watching whales is exhilarating!

Awesome story! We saw humpbacks breach almost everyday last year when we where in Kauai, it is an awesome site to see for sure. I can't wait to see them again.

You can go out on a boat for half a day and get close enough to take great pics for $65. Used to be they'd get you close enough to touch one but there's a law against that now. I've seen some amazing aerial photos that our friends with planes have taken.

It was interesting that the whale seemed virtuallly whipped at the beginning, but once the netting was removed he proved to have quite a bit of energy left. Maybe that means he had not been entangled for long.

Swimming with them would be wild, and to look into their eyes. I like hearing their massive exhalations, it sounds like immense natural power.

I was wondering if the whale were thinking, "yo, I better be more careful about that netting stuff," but I presume netting like that is virtually invisible underwater even to the perfectly adapted ocean creatures with super senses, so it could probably happen again at any time:(

The netting didn't really seem to stand out much even against the white background of the boat; so yeah, it's probably just about invisible in the water.

Quite a show the whale put on. That would be fantastic to see in person. I was struck by it's breathing when entangled. It didn't sound too good.

reminds me of this one.<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7-y8LC50r8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7-y8LC50r8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I've never seen one but I've heard what appeared to be dozens in a pod .They communicate by sound waves .Some are below the frequency of the human ear much like an elephant .The low frequencys can travel for miles .

Might sound hard to believe but you can distinquise between whales if you listen long enough .Strangley like humans they all have a different voice .

Now I have seen bottle nose dolphins by the hundreds and several orcas in a pod but no true whales .

It was probably the documented incident in 1820 of a large probably male sperm whale that sank the whaler "Essex " the inspiration for the book Moby Dick .

I would assume that old Tom acquired that from a learned behavior .The whalers were only interested in the the balleen and blubber of the captured whales for lamp oil .The rest was discarded thus food for the orcas .It is rather strange behavior though .

Usually a heathly adult gray or blue whale or a large sperm whale is a tad too much for an orca .Prey that large they only go after the sick or the young .

The few pods of the oceanic species I saw were off the grand banks so I can only assume they were the type which eats fish rather than sea mammals .

Back