192t is a dog

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 79
  • Views 10K
S

sytherstrike

I just bought a 192t three weeks ago. Its no power house, but it is a good little limber, light weight and easy to handle. In my opinion its easier to wield than a 200t up in a tree. It won't cut like a 200t, it has to be babied through big wood. I would say if you did lots of trim jobs that it would be a good investment. As far as doing removals I would defiantly say ante up the extra dough for the 200t, or having a larger rear handle saw to use. I bought my 192 used for $200, it's had very little use. The previous owner used it till the air filter was plugged and put it up on craigslist.

Yeah I had a few guys buy these to use just for limbing, they liked them for that. Had one guy buy two he was using them just for heavy brush removal.

Muffler mod it, it opens up a bit more.
When I did mine I cheated, Stihl makes a nice rectangular stamp right where the exh. should come out, about the size it should be. I brazed up the original hole and opened up the rectangle.
You will have to cut off the limiter tits on the carb adjustment screws (small pair of dykes) then adjust it as needed.
Now, when I say I cheated, doing it my way creates more power than other mods I have seen, BUT at the cost of the plastic on that side of the saw!! It will melt a LOT of it, even if you trim it back!!
Just giving you fair warning!

This makes it abou 2/3rds of a 200t.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's perfect for one handed cutting, holding, and tossing. And the price is right.

I totally agree, the one thing about the 200t I don't like is when I have to hold it sideways with my arm stretched out I find myself twisting my wrist in awkward positions to make the cut. The 192 is very easy to hold sideways and make cuts.

Mine has a nasty air leak, I think. Or maybe water somehow got into the tank.

Mine has a nasty air leak, I think. Or maybe water somehow got into the tank.

I've noticed they develop that after a bit Frans. I wonder if it has anything to do with the large amount of plastic in the case? Seems that after about 10 months of daily use they get shitty.

The 192T is a great little saw!!! I really loved it during the Ice Storm, when I did 10 to 12 trees a day. It was way better than wielding a 200T all day long. I think for it's size, power, and price, you get a great deal!

Because they cannot function, they're just wannabe dogs.

They are so short and dull that no way could you ever put any leverage on them, so you are not too likely to break them.

I've seen other saws with plastic dogs...short little things that maybe you notice if you look for them.. What's the point :)

Yeah, the 09L my dad uses as a climbing saw has those plastic dogs. ...lame...

Speaking of which... Is there a good place you guys order new dogs from. I need some better ones for my 460, and there are slots to put real dogs on the 192T.

Mine ran like poo until I took the muffler screen AND the exhaust deflector off. It runs alright now, but I went and got the narrow kerf bar for it to because it is a pretty damn slow saw. Great saw for people that don't like to feel like they're working. ...super light, and you get to sit around a lot waiting for the thing to finish cutting... :/:

Poo. They just have the inner dog for the 361. That's the saw that really needs it, beside the 192.

You can also call them or email them, they have a ton of stuff that isn't online, or in the catalog.

Poo. They just have the inner dog for the 361. That's the saw that really needs it, beside the 192.

Stihl makes a double dog set for the 361, smaller than you might wish for but a vast improvement over stock. I'll see if I can find a link to one or another threads where we talked about them, Andrew.

Back