New World Record!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter fallguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 5K
F

fallguy

6 hours 47 minutes and 23 seconds to complete my first ever 16 strand Class 1 splice on XTC. I have come to the realization that paying someone else 25.00 is a bargain. I spent at least half that much on beer.:O It will take a week for my hands to heal and I still need a new pair of gloves.:X Please don't tell me that this is the easy stuff. Now maybe a fancy Brian Toss splicing wand would help but I do not use that much rope. Those guys that make a living splicing this stuff EARN THERE MONEY!!!!!:|:

I bought the standard Toss wand and it's too short for doing 16 strand arbo splices. They have a special long one but I didn't find that out until after I broke the one I bought (on my first splice with it). You don't need it for double braid, so it was a complete waste of money for me.

And I agree wholeheartedly. I'll never again attempt to splice 16 strand arbo rope. Double braid and any single braid that uses a locking Brummel, sure. But the 16 strand splice sucks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have got a clue when I watched Brian's video. The 16 strand was the only place where you saw they camera start and stop. Also he kept saying that this is some nasty rope to splice.

There are some tricks to make it easier, some. I got a clue when I found out that some of the major rope companies use a machine to pull the final bury. Screw a Toss wand.

At one TCI Expo both the guy slicing at the Samson booth and the guy at Sherrill's booth were doing 16 strand eye splices in about 15 minutes.

I don't mind 16 strand. Lot easier to figure out than trying to splice Fly. I just ordered the Arborist wand from the Toss website. I misplaced my ½" wand and I have some Blue Streak I want to splice.

1/2" isn't that hard, as least for me. It was the first splice that made since to me when I first started splicing at the symposium.(We did hollow braid the second day, which was also the only one that made since to me then) It's just the most physical splice of the arbo lines.

As far as a Toss wand, it's great for hollow braid splices, but I've found my wire fid is great for everything else, since I can put a lot more force on it when the need arises.

Ranger what kind of wire did you use for your wand? I tried some wire I had around here and I could not get it to push through the final bury with out bending.

I'll get a pic of the package tomorrow. We had stopped by Ace Hardware a few weeks ago and I found some relatively thin, strong wire. Around 14 gauge I think, 55lb test strength or something like that.

You have to push the wire in first to be able to grab the tail of the rope right?:?

Thats an idea. I just may have try this again. I just do not like the idea of a piece of rope getting the best of me.

What part are you guys finding hard about splicing 16 strand? These are the 3 I get the most calls/complaints about...

1: pulling the cover tail through the crossover
2: Burying the last part of the tail up by the eye where it gets stiff
3: Conceptually understanding the splice in general?

Each of these can be made much easier if you know the right tricks. Which makes it tough for you?

love
nick

As has been stated 1 and 2. Getting the cross over was more difficult than the eye for me.:X

Once upon a time I could do one in 30 min plus time for lock stiching. I havent done one in over a yr. If i set all my stuff back up, im sure i could come close to that again. I have 2 wands, never could get either to work worth a sh*t. Ive used a coat hanger w/ more success. I also have a small length of 'mystery cord' to pull w/ and I can almost pull the entire length at once.

What part are you guys finding hard about splicing 16 strand? These are the 3 I get the most calls/complaints about...

1: pulling the cover tail through the crossover
2: Burying the last part of the tail up by the eye where it gets stiff
3: Conceptually understanding the splice in general?

Each of these can be made much easier if you know the right tricks. Which makes it tough for you?

love
nick

Number 1.

Back