New Hollow Braid Rope From Marlow Ropes

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I saw a new rope at TCIA Expo, it was a hollowbraid, similar in weave to Tenex. They had it spliced in a traditional Whoopie configuration.

What was different was that the carriers, instead of being a bunch of threads, like most hollow braids, seemed to be individual kernamntle construction lines. It was like they weaved some 3/4" rope from 12 strands of accessory cord. It was really cool actually.

Heres a pic and some links:

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 8.15.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 8.15.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 8.20.26 PM.png

Apparently Marlow makes an entire line of arborist focused rope products and other stuff. Dont know much else about them though.

http://www.marlowropes.com/arboriculture-prod/ropes/whoopie-slings.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You mean like Tenex? Its easy to splice, its strong, and cheap. Its been proven for a while now, etc.

Advantages of this OVER Tenex or a traditional hollowbraid? Not sure. The obvious advantage I see would be durability and picking. I havencompared strength numbers though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know a whoopie sling? Or a dead eye sling thats made out of the loose stuff. Like you use to hang a porty or a block? Thats tenex.

It is a sling grade material. Not a lowering line.

Tenex:
Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 9.52.36 PM.png

Marlow is junk rope IMO. Luke sent me a demo hank of their 16 strand, not impressed at all. Talked to some guys from the UK about it as well, no one is a fan over there either, everyone says its junk.

I bought a spool of Marlow whipping cord / throw line at a Expo. Haven't used it yet, but it looks ok just sitting on the bench, lol.

It looks like braided 3mm tech cord in the pic. I'd be interested in hearing how it works out as an alternative to tenex. I'm assuming you could still do locked brummels to splice it.

Marlow make good sailing ropes, their Arb offerings haven't been great so far, but thats not to say they couldn't pull it off.

Back