First time on the gaffs.

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I had a Euc. removal scheduled for today, not a terribly large tree, 45ft., 22" stump. But it was in a corner, fenced, shed right next to it with a heavy lean to the fence.
Today was supposed to be 55 and sunny, I thought a grea time to try them out!
Well, it has topped out a 32, 10am, and been dropping with 20-30mph winds. Not a good day in the tree, much less to learn new tricks!
First I couldn't get choked right on my lanyard, I was always too far away, I was climbing the backside of the lean. Then I didn't get my straps tight enough and one came off my boot about half way up. That was a fun fix! I had to keep tighting them up around my calfs and even then they wanted to move around on me.(Leather T-pads)
My brain kept telling my feet to move outside, but they didn't want to cooperate:lol: And I really didn't like the idea of leaning foreward to flip my lanyard!! I just kept thinking I was going to gaff out in my mind.
I got the spar clean, blew out the top and was VERY happy to be on the ground!!
Any suggestions on future improvment? I am thinking about running up and down the utility poles whenit warms a bit to see if I can get the feel better. It sure looks a LOT easier watching someone than what I did today!!

Way to go Andy!:D

Why did you climb up the backside of the lean? Sometimes it's the way to go but you're usually better off on top of a lean.

One of your gaffs came off too?:O

Um.... that's not supposed to happen dude..... like, ever. Make sure you strap in TIGHT! Almost to the point of uncomfortably tight... but not quite.

Set up a video camera next time..... sounds like it was, um... entertaining.:P

:D

Because I am fat and learning!:lol:

You sure picked a hell of a good way to lose weight Sawin.

And I can pretty much guarantee you that if you can stay at it without killing or crippling yourself, you will lose weight.

And as your power to weight ratio improves, so will your abilities as a climber.

Most all the good pro climbers have very good power to weight ratios.

Take it slow and careful Sawin, but good luck and don't give up until your gut instints tell you to.

There's a good book called the tree climbers companion or something that's real good reading for beginners I hear.

Work Safe Sawin.

jomoco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've climbed all my life, just the last few years started doing it the "right way";)
These folks over here have been a great help to me!
I already have the book and have done several rope climbs for trimming and removals. But as I have told others at AS, learning this stuff without a mentor is dangerous and SLOW!!!
I knew the gaffs woluld be more work than I thought, I just thought I would iure out the stability easier than I did! Once I was up I really had no desire to walk around that tree to get to the side I needed to cut!

I think I'll hold off on the videos for a while!! I'll just let you guys have fun with the mental images I provide!:lol:

Come on Andy... where's your sense of adventure?;)

I would never think of making fun of a fat guy in a tree......:/:

I've climbed all my life, just the last few years started doing it the "right way";)
These folks over here have been a great help to me!
I already have the book and have done several rope climbs for trimming and removals. But as I have told others at AS, learning this stuff without a mentor is dangerous and SLOW!!!
I knew the gaffs woluld be more work than I thought, I just thought I would iure out the stability easier than I did! Once I was up I really had no desire to walk around that tree to get to the side I needed to cut!

I think I'll hold off on the videos for a while!! I'll just let you guys have fun with the mental images I provide!:lol:

Sorry about that Sawin old friend, I didn't recognize you, my mistake.

A good buddy of mine is a hell of a good climber here in SD, he weighs 300 pounds, is 6 foot 7 inches tall, an ex-marine, and luckily for me a real nice guy!

More power to yu Sawin.

jomoco

You never really forget how .

I hooked a spar a few years ago just to see if I still had it .It had been like 20 prior the last I ever climbed a pole . Evidently I don't forget because I didn't fall off that thing .

What it did do though was reinforce in my mind why I much prefer bucket trucks .;)

You gotta wear your straps tight, but not too tight, and you need a Gibbs for your lanyard.

I wouldn't recommend climbing a pole for practice - they're not the same as a tree. To get comfortable you need to gaff up a tree just a couple steps and then stomp around, lean back on your lanyard, kick out a 'lil just to get a feel for it. You must learn to trust your spurs along with all your gear.

I thought you never wore hooks before? All your life? :?

Good heavens no don't be gaffing up a pole .It will take a month of Sundays to remove the splinters if you cut out .:O

Andy, it's the BOTTOM straps that you need to get tight- almost uncomfortably tight. All the calf strap does is keep the gaff lined up on your leg.

Read the book again, buddy! :)

You must learn to trust your spurs along with all your gear.

Yep, that's a biggy! You don't climb the tree as much as you climb your gear.... if that makes any sense.

Sawin, if you don't have steel insert spurstays on your gaffs, you're always going to be in pain and uncomfortable wearing them.

My bashlin steel insert leather spurstays are about 75 bucks a pair and worth every penny and then some to me.

Try a pair out Sawin.

jomoco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You gotta wear your straps tight, but not too tight, and you need a Gibbs for your lanyard.

I wouldn't recommend climbing a pole for practice - they're not the same as a tree. To get comfortable you need to gaff up a tree just a couple steps and then stomp around, lean back on your lanyard, kick out a 'lil just to get a feel for it. You must learn to trust your spurs along with all your gear.

I thought you never wore hooks before? All your life? :?

I've always free climbed Butch. ALWAYS!!! A few years ago my wife came and watched me trim a tree at her sisters house. When I got home she grabbed the Bailey's cataloge and told me to order whatever I needed to do it safely and she didn't care what it cost!! I knew better than that, so I got the basics, a saddle, rope a couple of 'biners etc. and have been trying to learn the "proper ways" ever since.
Justin wa SUPER gracious and sent me a set of his old gaffs for me to use, and hell it "looks easy enough don't it?"

I will read the book again Brian, good tip!

It's all good jomoco, most just think I am a firewood hack and don't have a clue what I am talkin about. Which I really am, and I really don't, but I do know how hard learing this stuff on your own is!

I am soooo glad I can be here to provide hours of cheap entertainment, I FINALLY have a purpose in life:lol:

I've always free climbed Butch. ALWAYS!!!

148723353_6b11d22209.jpg

You just hang in there, Andy. You can learn all kinds of stuff around here. Some of it is even useful! :lol:

Like this:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsyS0oHLNFA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsyS0oHLNFA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When I first started with the gaffs, I placed a line over a high branch and used an ascender on the line (SRT) attached to the harness as a backup for the lanyard and gaffs. I found that I felt more comfortable doing it this way while I was learning. Confidence seemed to come a little quicker. Perhaps that is what you did, although it wasn't mentioned. Incidentally, as a "free-climber" you show more courage in the trees than I have ever had.

The third time out I got up and down the tree just fine, tripped over some of the cut branches on the ground, fell over, and stabbed myself in the leg. That little gouge took about two months to heal.

Back