climbing boots

john shutler

Treehouser
my first post over here guys, been a none posting member for over a year, posted this question over on arbtalk, just want your opinions. as you may or may not know chainsaw trousers and boots are required when operating a saw in the canopy and on the ground in the uk

so im after peoples thoughts on climbing in non chainsaw boots whilst using a saw, personally and im probably going to get some flack for this but i cant really see the problem as long as proper work positioning is being employed. opinions please

Welcome to the TreeHouse, John - good to see you posting. So you're a Brit? Your profile doesn't tell us much.

I don't wear "chainsaw" boots, or any special boot. Just $50 Wal Mart boots that last 6, 8 months.

Attachments

• boots.JPG
    boots.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the TreeHouse!

As for boots, I buy whatever is on sale at Wally World or Bells. :|:

I've never owned or even seen 'chainsaw boots'. In my younger days I wore heavy lineman style boots but they wore me out. for the last 10+ years I've worn high quality backpacking/ mountaineering boots designed for maximum grip and support in difficult terrain. Those qualities seem to transfer over to tree climbing very well.

As for chainsaw safety, don't cut your foot with the saw. :|:

RJS, just for y'all. :)

Attachments

• Husqvarna chainsaw boots (Medium).JPG
    Husqvarna chainsaw boots (Medium).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 192
I wouldn't bother with chainsaw boots unless you do a lot of ground work. I can get with the SIP pants though. I love em. Expensive at first, but better than a health insurance claim.

Hey Wag ... which ones are those ? As far as climb boots I don't know what rules you Brits (OSHA over here) have to deal with ... in the past I've run Redwing logger boots with steel toe ... have switched to WESCO's ....I'm waing for them as we post , maybe tommorrow .....

...sorry for the lack of clarity... I'm talking about pants, not boots. SIP makes chainsaw protective pants.

I'm wearing them in my avatar.

never worn chainsaw boots, cant remember ever even thinking i was close to cutting my foot

I like my Wescos. I have two different sized feet and leather boots seem to work the best for fitting to your foot size. I may do custom boots next time if I am in the chips. The weight has never bothered me. I started wearing fire boots in 1989 and have worn something similar to this boot ever since. I love the 16" rise, its very comfortable and gives great support.

Attachments

• 491.gif
    491.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 88
Wally world here also, steel toe. I've been thinking about getting some Wescos for when I use spurs but I never do it.

That doesn't help, especially if you have relatively small feet.

You might consider these.

Attachments

• crappy spurs.jpg
    crappy spurs.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 99
Back