Wing suit base jumping

There was a time long long ago when I would have done that.

Now that I'm older...NO WAY!!!

...but then again? :/:

HC

That is awesome. I am going to steal Darin's line on this one. For every pussy, somewhere the world, there is a bigger one - in this case, he is in Texas.

The guy says "It is just like flying"....
I guess so if you don't consider the fact that you aren't flying, you are falling with style and you have next to ZERO glide ratio.

[..] you are falling with style ...

Definitely with style.

Hell no, I'd workout like crazy so I could handle a 192T and then do crazy ass removals.
That's a cool idea... you could prune trees like hedges by going to the top and flying through the canopy with the saw wide open.

That is some strong stuff. Flying would be cool. That was extreme, He could have high fived the guys on the roadway.

I would have liked to have interviewed the people in the cars:D

I'm wondering if he gets into ground effect when he's buzzing the terrain above the road.

I'm wondering if he gets into ground effect when he's buzzing the terrain above the road.

That's probably the only thing that keeps him from leaving behind body parts. :what:

TreeTX, I think the glide ratio is 2 to 2.5 on those wingsuits. ;)

Ground effect is the small amount of additional lift a winged aircraft gets when it's within, I think, 1/2 the wingspan from the ground.

Now that I think about it, probably not... I may be wrong though, could be a full wingspan rather than a half... ground school was a long time a go.

Oh I was thinking something else.

Those suits manuvered alot better than some videos I have watched of flying. Could be the amount of hours those guys have on them.

That's probably the only thing that keeps him from leaving behind body parts. :what:

TreeTX, I think the glide ratio is 2 to 2.5 on those wingsuits. ;)

2:2.5 sucks, that's 1.25:1 in common speak.:P

Some people can get 3:1, depending on the faller and the suit, according to Modern Marvels, I think it was.

Somewhere between that and the space shuttle on final approach. ;)

Yeah really that's in the neighborhood of a 20 degree glide. Those cliffs have to be over 3000' high, that's well over a mile of travel. Somebody else can figure time aloft.

2:2.5 sucks, that's 1.25:1 in common speak.:P

Some people can get 3:1, depending on the faller and the suit, according to Modern Marvels, I think it was.

Sorry, you misunderstood. What I meant was between 2:1 and 2.5:1, and yes, that is not good. Heck, a jumbo jet with no engines can get over 10:1

A little feller with a good suit might get 3:1, a big guy like you (or me) considerably less. :lol:

Of course, I'm too old to try that nonsense. It's a young man's sport. I would do that heli removal though. ;)

That was bugging me, not that I had the principle wrong, but that I used the wrong spelling of 'effect' in Ground Effect. Well, I spelled it right but I had the principle all wrong.

It's a decrease in DRAG, not an increase in LIFT and it's within a full wingspan... without putting too fine a point on it. The decrease in drag results in more airspeed and more potential lift.

So, if that dude actually got within a wingspan of the ground on those buzzing passes... he sped up while he was in ground effect.

It is just simply amazing where this sort of thing is going. I have heard of theoretical landings without parachutes. So far theoretical.

It will happen and it will be so cool.

Though Like base jumping the proof that it can be done costs lives.

I guess that is the only pioneering left to prove.

Back