039???

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Well I wrenched on one a little while ago ,got it running ,vibrated like a dog shatting razor blades but cut fairly well . Come find out ,no clutch bearing and two out three clutch springs broken .:(

Now ,that's no big thing but a question .Just where in the world did this plastic wonder ever come from ? I never even heard of one before .It certainly does not appear to be one of the better made commercial saws although it seems to have plenty of power etc . Is this a home owner type saw ?

Yes, it's a homeowner model. It's one of the 029/ 031/ 039 series. They're all the same saw except for different displacement.

Al, any even numbered stihl saw is marketed toward profesionals, whereas the odd numbered saws are marketed (and built) for homeowners. At least thats what Ive been told anyway.

Yes, (again) I have one. It really isn't that bad of a saw. If you can't afford the ms 361 the 039 is a good choice. I think it has plenty of power for it's size for a clamshell engine design.

I agree it is a hand tingler because the anti-vibs are poor. I don't see why the 039 draws such comments as being a big hunk of plastic. I have a J-red 630 super and it has as much plastic on it as the 039 and I think the 039 is a better saw. Lot more torque to it than that 630.

I have made this comment before and I will say it again. I feel some of the so called orange handled homeowner Sthil saws start better and run about as good as some of the so called pro models. The 039 being one of them along with the 025's. These two saws have been very good for us. They are also easier to work on when it comes to engine problems on the bottom end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I suppose that makes sense .What about the oldies though ,075,-41-51 etc ?

Oh the only reason I mentioned that thing is I had never seen one .Plus it comes as a surprise to me that the trimmer that owns it would buy a non commercial saw . However as I think about now he at one time during storm damage had more people working for him than he had saws to equip them with .Perhaps he bought that thing ,along with a couple of Husky 335's just because they were less expensive .I'll ask him the next I see him and put the mystery to sleep .

After thought .I think the reason that saw rock-n- rolled was the clutch and no bearing .

Al, any even numbered stihl saw is marketed toward profesionals, whereas the odd numbered saws are marketed (and built) for homeowners. At least thats what Ive been told anyway.

Not true... a lot of people also think that if a Stihl has an orange handle it is not a Pro Saw... that would mean there are a lot of 056's that are not Pro saws... LMAO... :D

Anyways... the 039/390 is the biggest homeowner saw Stihl makes... Not a bad saw for it's intended design.

Gary

I don't believe that Husky puts out a line of those cheapo do-it-yourself hardware store jobs. Stihl doesn't seem hesitant, though. Some people not more in the know, draw their conclusions from those models.

I don't think that contraption has an orange handle .It has a side chain tightener too .I got no idea where the oil pump adjustment is though .The damned thing does have limiter caps ,at least for the moment ;)

I don't believe that Husky puts out a line of those cheapo do-it-yourself hardware store jobs. Stihl doesn't seem hesitant, though. Some people not more in the know, draw their conclusions from those models.

Husqvarna has the 455 Rancher, the 359, the 350, and others that are geared to the homeowner crowd

Gary

I don't think that contraption has an orange handle .It has a side chain tightener too .I got no idea where the oil pump adjustment is though .The damned thing does have limiter caps ,at least for the moment ;)

My 044 has the side chain tensioner, as well as the 361 I had. The 441 and 460's have them too. They are pretty slick, and makes it easier to adjust chain tension if ya ask me... just stick the scrench through the hole in the clutch cover...

Gary

I always thought that limiter caps were first introduced to keep people from seizing up their saws...could be wrong though. As long as you're putting one on the high speed, might as well too on the low speed...some crazy notion like that. If they first showed up in California models, the epa connection would explain it though :roll:

Oh they tried every thing to make them fool proof .Fixed main jets ,limiter caps ,sealed resticted mufflers ,rev limiting coils .They are all kind of like padlocks ,keeps the amatuers out .

Look at the botom of the saw Al, just under the clutch on the cover side. There is an adjustment for the oiler there. You have to look, but it's there.

Brings to mind a little story....

Years ago I traded some woodwork for an Alaskan mill, that came with two brand new 076 powerheads. It was before I knew anything about saws, and as I was fiddling with the carb adjustment on one, I seized up the engine. I took it to my local dealer, and he sent it off for evaluation and possible repair, to some main Stihl service center for the area.

From the dealer I received the telephone number of the service center, and called them up. The person looking into the saw says, "Well, it looks like someone may have been fooling with the carburetor adjustment, but how about if I found an extra washer in the saw...which of course would be cause for a free rebuild....does that work for you?". I managed to blubber my big thanks over the phone. Never forgot that nice guy. Stihl can never be all bad in my book after that.

Al,
You are right, the MS 390 does have a lot of plastic, but so does every other saw just about anybody builds anymore. I think all would agree that modern saws have way more performance per pound than back in the day of the 056 and other big Macs and Homelites.
I hope the following will help everyone understand the marketing strategy for why some STIHL saws are made the way they are. I posted most of this in another forum and had several comments to the effect that now it kind of makes sense. STIHL makes saws considered for homeowner, or occasional use, farm and ranch or semi-pro, and professional use. They all have the same warranty, one year for homeowner and 90 days pro. I honestly believe they all are well designed and good value if you look at return on investment for run time, performance, and just plain fun and ease of operation. That is of course based on proper care and use.
So you have to decide on a price range and how hard you plan to use it.
The breakdown pretty much goes like this:
MS 170, 180, 210, 230, 250, 192, are light duty use. They have a clamshell or engine pan design, called modular, where the crankshaft is pinched between the cylinder and the engine pan, making the engine module, and everything else bolts to the module. The bar bolts into the plastic tank housing. This makes for ease of manufacturing and keeps cost down, so the price is lower at retail.
Here is the engine module for a MS 180 project saw I am building:

IMG_2250-1.jpg

The MS 290, 310, 390 are designed the same, but have a heavier crankshaft and are considered more of a mid-range saw. The bar has one bolt into the engine pan and the other into the plastic tank / handle housing. Notice the extended area on the engine pan sticking out, for the rear bar stud:

20enginemodule.jpg

All of the above mentioned models have an aluminum engine pan, chrome or Nikasil coated cylinder, four open transfer ports, and plenty of plastic holding it all together.
The MS 270, 280 are more of a semi-pro model, with a magnesium engine pan and housing holding the crank in, and the bar, but still a clamshell design. These saws are a newer design with more current engineering in them, and are a great performing saw with plenty of power and performance. I really enjoy running this model. The 290, 310, 390 is a much older design, but has plenty of power and a proven track record. Here is a view of the engine pan on a MS 270 I recently went through:

13pan.jpg

See how much more material there is, and both bar studs thread into the mag engine pan.
When you move up to the pro models there is a big difference in design, and they cost more money. The MS 260, the older 034 and 036, the newer MS 360, 361, 440, 460, 441, 660, 880 are all pro models, designed for logging or commercial use. Now you have a split magnesium crankcase, that holds the crank, and both bar studs, in a rigid configuration, with the cylinder held on with four screws, and a plastic tank housing and handle assembly. Here is a MS 441 crankcase with the crank and piston installed:

IMG_2255.jpg

The pro saws have closed transfer ports. The older models have two ports, the 361 has four. Where this all comes together is that the 361 weighs less than a 390, and has more power with less engine size. It is engineered to a higher level of performance, and is a newer design. So if that is the size of saw you are after then is it worth the difference in price to you to pay for a pro saw?
The MS 441 is stratified scavenged, with 6 ports and piston recesses to control the scavenge air coming in from the 2 extra ports, but is still a pro design. You will see stratified scavenging on probably every new STIHL saw coming out in the future. Here is the carb, cylinder, and piston from a MS 441 I just finished up:

IMG_2249.jpg

Down the road for repair will also make a difference. I can have the piston in my hand in 5 minutes on a 361. It will take a complete teardown, just about to the last bolt, to get the piston out of a modular design. Will that matter if you only cut a cord or two a year? Probably not. But the labor and parts cost to have the dealer install a new piston and cylinder in a modular saw will usually exceed the value of the saw, even on a 390. But a pro saw it usually will not. And a saw used by a pro may get over a 1000 hours on it in a year. So it is worth the repair.
I have friend that actually cut over 50 cords of wood with an 017, which became the MS 170. He did very little maintenance on it and was more than pleased with the use it gave him, and bought two more.
So I guess it all comes down to budget and use. Research the models and decide how big a bar your minimum is and then decide on a pro model or a lighter duty model. But I know for a fact any STIHL when used right will be fun and hold up well.
But probably the most important thing is to buy from a local dealer that will give you good service and support. And if it isn't a STIHL dealer that is OK too, as long it is a good model saw that meets your needs. I just like STIHL the best. Most of the other saw brands are similar in design as well.
Also be aware that the number system does not indicate if a saw is pro or not.
The MS 360 and MS 361 are both pro saws. he MS 390 will be replaced by a MS391.
The handle color doesn’t really mean much either. My 040 and 041 both have black handles, as did nearly all the old saws:

IMG_2253.jpg

My MS 200 T and the MS 192 T both have black handles, but the 192 has a clamshell modular engine and the MS 200 does not.

IMG_2254.jpg

Yes the MS 250, MS 390 has orange and others don’t, but who knows what color the next generation of saw will be?
Regarding limiter caps, they are there to keep the user from adjusting too rich. The only adjustment to be made is leaner for altitude.
Here is one being removed:

capremoval.jpg

Always replace them so the screw does not vibrate around. I trim off the little bit of plastic on the side so I can adjust as needed, not within the ¾ turn range they normally give.

So I hope some of this helps somebody here reading this. I know this forum tends to have more pro user types instead of newbies or homeowners, but hopefully the info discussed is of value.

Eddie

Excellent post Eddie .

I've never worked on any Stihls that are not so called pro saws .That's what kind of took me off kilter when I saw this one .Fact is I didn't even know Stihl made a clam shell engine untill recently .Sheltered life I guess;)

I knew something was different about when I lifted it ,much lighter than an 038 or 044 .The air filtration is differently designed than what I'm used to etc .Well ,you're never too old to learn they say .

I want his shop with a lock on the door so as no kids or groundies can get in and leave all my tools and such laying about. I would only have me to blame.. LOL

Back