The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Worlds Fastest Splicer - #BeatErikVega To Win $500

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
World's Fastest Splicer Contest! Win a $500 TreeStuff Gift Card
Can you beat Erik Vega, Head Splicer @ ABR, for the Title of World's Fastest Rope Splicer?

Erik's video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nut0aJFr9U4

UPDATE: Phil Whitten (Eriks teacher and mentor) set the new time @ 7:07. Erik will reshoot and try to improve the ‪#‎BeatErikVega‬ time.

RULES:
- On September 1st the person with the fasted posted time will win a $500 Gift Card.

REQUIREMENTS:
- Video must be uncut. One single scene.
- Video must be posted to Facebook and have both #BeatErikVega & ‪#‎treestuff‬ in the text of the post
- Stop Watch or timer must be visible and readable in shot from beginning to end.
- Material must be any 11.7mm YALE Climbing line (ie Aztec, Bluemoon, Luna, Sumac Etc).
- Must use accepted, standard Class 1 Double Braid measurements & techniques
- Eye size marks must be visible during process.
- Splice must be closed and finished (with first eye mark buried).
- Splice must be whipped to rope diameter or more with 4 frapping turns.

STEPS TO WIN:
- Watch the video
- Read the rules
- Splice your butt off!
- Post the video to facebook #BeatErikVega #treestuff

NOTES:
- It doesn't have to be an overhead shot, we used a c-stand and basic handy cam. However you film it just make sure its one shot and clear.
- HAVE FUN

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nut0aJFr9U4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
What a cool idea for a contest! Too bad I'm training for a footlocking event... :whine:

I'm with Jerry on the three strand, lol!

cory

TreeHouser
You treestuff guys are thinking. There's no way I would have watched that (very cool) splicing vid tonite without the clickbait thread title.

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I assure you guys, my skills are heavily weighted in the "how sexy can I make this look on YouTube" category and nowhere near the speeds that production splicers can accomplish.

Last time I timed myself doing Blaze, which is a touch easier, I finished the splice only (no whipping) in 13 minutes.

That said- I think this weekend I'm gonna give it the old college try. And see what I can do.

Watching Erik and Phil are awe inspiring for a dude like me!

love
nick

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Joey Cornel, rip, was a production splicer at one of the big 3 arbor rope manufactures. He said the average splicer would do a half dozen at a time, per hour. Pay wasn't all that great. Only about 2 or 3 bucks per splice. The real bad part of it was the guys eventually all developed circulatory and nerve problems in their hands. It sounded like slave-labor, to me.

chris_girard

Treehouser
The real bad part of it was the guys eventually all developed circulatory and nerve problems in their hands. It sounded like slave-labor, to me.
Yup, that is why I had to give up splicing hard to bury rope. After 2 ruptured tendons and surgery on both elbows (not related to splicing), I now stick with just 3 strand, Tenex and easy double braid rigging lines Stable Braid.

Boomslang

TreeHouser
SherrillTree's Dr. O dropping a 4:28

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cC1qE5yzf7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!