Wood stove heat

A luxury mansion built well over 100 years ago had this black iron tube with spaced orifices that sent out LP flame to set the wood ablaze. A brass key was used to open a valve in the mantle to allow gas flow. The orifices on the burner were clogged allowing the flames to shoot out of the secondary air intake at the beginning of the manifold. Cleaned out with drill and all is well. This setup can be very dangerous as gas can pour into your home if you don’t have a non deviating routine of turning the gas off as soon as the logs are lit. Also, better have a flame in the fireplace (paper or other materials) before turning gas on to avoid a flash.

Attachments

• IMG_9094.jpeg
    IMG_9094.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9097.jpeg
    IMG_9097.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9095.jpeg
    IMG_9095.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Couldn't hurt to put some supports in the middle. I have to be careful how hot I burn the wood stove because the damper assembly can easily start sagging because it wasn't designed well enough.

The wood burning fireplace in the Lake Quinault lodge has a propane gas manifold under the log fire grate. It burns all the time, with a few 3 foot logs 6 or 8 inches in diameter above the gas. They burn down until another few are added again. I have no idea if the manifold has needed to be replaced ever, and I rather doubt that the gas is part of the original fireplace. But the building has been there since 1926.

Lake Quinalt Feb. 2023 064.JPG

Last edited:
It sure is but seriously, you'd have to see this decrepit pile to believe it and yet the wood is rock solid, dry, a burns a treat. Plus, it received a 1.5" rainfall the day before I used it:O

Back