Windsor Chain Query

Oh I'm not arguing the point .I don't have a 36" small Stihl mount bar but I do have a 32" .I believe the Rocky special could pull it no problem but I'm not so sure about the oil .

Say I have a blow up of how a Stihl pump works .It's in an 048 manual but I believe they are all the same . My flatbed scanner went down on me but as soon as I get a new one I'll post it and maybe somebody might have an idea how to fix those danged things .

You might be able to cut the housing hole a tad deeper to suck in more oil or something ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My 660 when on 36" bar, cross cutting such as ash, will be at its limit and gums the chain real easy, and it also struggles to clear chips, so skip it is for me, as a cheaper way around it for now. I'll see how it goes, then toy with the idea of high out put oiler also.

I think Pete (unless he adds different) was just wanting a faster chain speed and better clearing on his 30". I believe he is intending putting a twin port muffler on his also. So i guess what you guys say is it will be great for both!

I think this supplier seems reasonably priced to us at the moment, but due to the exchange rate the way it is, we could nearly ship it back to you fellers!;)

They pound a 20lb nail into to the joist above, then hang the chain on it with one of Butch's big a$$ cheeseburgers attached to it...

LOL...
What STIHL does that makes a difference is they sharpen the cutters first, then build the chain so there is no grinding dust in the rivet holes, then the chain is passed through a series of rollers that flex it back and forth. This beds in the rivets and holes so it is "pre-stretched" once you put it on the saw. Other manufacturers sharpen after assembly and you have to bed in the rivets when you install it so that is why it seems to "stretch" more at first.

Regarding the STIHL oiling, the pump does put out a little less than others but according to STIHL that is because with a STIHL bar and chain they all work together to require less oil. There is a groove on the drive link and a hole to carry the oil around the nose of the bar, and some little bumps in the bar groove to keep it from leaking out, all patented of course. Saves the operator money on bar oil and saves the environment. And tries to get you to use STIHL stuff instead of someone elses. "Oilomatic" is the advertising slang and so if true then using other brands of bar and chain might require more oil than the pump would normally deliver.
I am just going by what the literature says. Has anybody ever noticed excessive or premature wear running all STIHL cutting parts? I guess a test is in order to be able to know for sure.

Not only excessive and premature wear, but the chain constantly gets bound up on big cuts in our oak wood. You have to keep pulling the saw back out of the cut and wiggling it around to get the chain spinning again. With the higher output oiler you can just lay the saw in the cut and pull it through.

I'm speaking not only from past experience, but also from running Mike's two saws before and after replacing the oilers. He uses Stihl bars on them and the chain comes off my roll of Stihl RSLK skip.

Sawcollector, is Stihl claiming to have improved edge holding qualities in their new chains? I bought some of the new type, that anti vibration or whatever it's called, and the edge holding seems extremely good.

One other thing about oil output, a longer bar and chain will have lesser oil amount to go around, is what I deduce.

When comparing chains it is important to compare simular types so it is fair.

I like the Windsor chains. It is same as Oregons if you compare the correct ones.

Stihl I have no experience with, but Oregon, Windsor I do. I habe yet to find something other than a bit too much oil on the chains.

I mix the chains a bit after what I do and what customer does and likes.
Of the 3/8's for firewood cutters I like Windsors 58A best of all I think.
The Pro's the 58APL or 73LPX
With .325, I must say Oregon 21BPX takes the cake...

Skip chain is hard to get here as Blount does not stock it here, same with The old LG and LP... They are now gone and they will not come back it seems.

Regarding the STIHL oiling, the pump does put out a little less than others but according to STIHL that is because with a STIHL bar and chain they all work together to require less oil. There is a groove on the drive link and a hole to carry the oil around the nose of the bar, and some little bumps in the bar groove to keep it from leaking out, all patented of course. Saves the operator money on bar oil and saves the environment. And tries to get you to use STIHL stuff instead of someone elses. "Oilomatic" is the advertising slang and so if true then using other brands of bar and chain might require more oil than the pump would normally deliver.
I am just going by what the literature says. Has anybody ever noticed excessive or premature wear running all STIHL cutting parts? I guess a test is in order to be able to know for sure.

Only thing i can say as far as this goes, is i am presently running 2 chains on my 660, both full comp. One is stihl, the other oregon, and found no difference between them for keeping oiled over the last few weeks.

The only difference, although very, very slight is the stihl chain seems to hold its edge slightly longer, but at present that is not an issue. Gummed up, over heating chains that seem to bung a lot when cutting, are.

Major edit;

Many thanks for all the replies:)

Having been offered this chain it sounds like a good buy then, goin on what all you lot seem to think. The price i have been quoted is £54 for 3 loops of 3/8" for 36" bar. Roughly $18 per loop at todays exchange rate!

Due to me having lost several brain cells recently due excessive alcohol intake, i believe my maths is slightly out!

With the exchange rate as it is presenly, i belive it works out just under $27 per 36" loop. Dare say you guys will still say thats cheap, as it is here!

It costs me $1 USD per bar inch for a loop of full chisel point, full skip, Stihl chain...so $36 against your price of $27. I know it's not Stihl chain, but that's still a good price.

Baileys sells 3/8" Oregon chains for 22 cents a drive length plus a buck or so to spin it up .Add a couple dollars to ship it you would have about 30 dollars in a 114 driver length loop which is what a 36" Stihl mount bar takes .

That 27 a loop isn't a bad price .Besides you certainly would not get a chain shipped from California to England for a few bucks .Probabley cost more than the chain .

I don't see what bar length has to do with it, you are getting the same amount of oil per length of chain past the sprocket. I haven't run any long bars on Stihl saws, so I can't opine on that situation.

Because the longer the bar the longer that cutter/driver/whatever has to travel out and back around before it gets oiled up again.

It is the distance between the drive link's that carry the oil.

No matter the drive link count saw will provide same volume of oil if it is same speed guage and pitch.

If guage is .058/.063 instead of .050 volume is increased and more can be inserted.

There is not much positive pressure on the oil, the chain creates a bit of negative pressure when passing the hole, this is normally enough.

When long bars are added to the discussion it is a longer distance each drive and tie strap has to travel and need oil to reduce fraction and even cool a bit.
Sometimes the volume for oil is simply not enough to carry all the distance.

Other things can effect as well as oil holes diameter, position, leaks around bar instead of in it...

Dont want to side track this Windsor chain thread.

3/8LP 050

But I use Windsor 3/8LP on my small saws when I can get it and like it. I have never tried the stihl 3/8LP chains which is the fastest cutting of the stihl 3/8LP 050 to try?

What I am wondering has anyone tried that new Oregon VX or something similar to those letters in 3/8LP? Talking all non safety chain stuff.

TT, Stihl only makes two chains in 3/8lp, the regualr and the safety version. The designation for the regular 3/8lp .050 is 63pm (or possibly 63pmc now). The master link will be yellow indicating the standard chain without the stupid safety bumpers on the rakers. If they hand you a chain with a green master link then hand it back.

And IMO the Stihl 63pm is the fastest 3/8lp chain available. I won't run anything else.

3/8 Hobby chains...

Windsors safety chain we have here is 43RG.
50R is semi chisel normal chain.
50RG is same but with balance weight in front of tooth (Not like safty chain!).

Oregon has the 91VG as safety chain. (same as the 43RG)
91VX is the standard semi chisel chain (same as 50R).
91LX is a wieard chain for Auto sharp systems.

I still have 25-30ft Carlton chisel I sell to happy users here.
That and the Windsor 50R is what they like best.

Hey Al I just pm'ed Mange. If he will sale me some, tell me what DL count you need too and I will have it all sent together to save on shipping.

I wonder who put that strange avatar on me. MB .................... I bet. LOL

Carlton makes 3/8" LP in chisel ? Hmm.:/:
Not sure if it is possible to get anymore.
It was ordered by a dealer here for service the McCulloch/Partner Hobby saws.
I suspect it was bought thru that as he had no contact with Carlton and they had no rep here at the time.

This was not last week...

I worked for him a bit maby 4 years ago...
Short after he was bought up in a bigger company so I bought some stuff they did not care much for.

Back