What's Your Favorite Saw You Own?

My MS 200 rear handle gets the call 9 times out of 10 now that I'm retired and mostly cutting small stuff on our 5 acres. It's a gem, powerful and light. It's brother is also no slouch, the 200T, still the best top handle ever by many a standard.

My 361 is drop dead reliable and pulls chain and bar from 16 to 25 inches with near equal authority, great vibration management; fells, bores, and bucks extremely well...a Swiss Army knife of a chainsaw.

The old 044 is an amazing piece of machinery, incredible power to weight ration. Hard to beat. Fast cutting, and near indestructible in the bargain. 30 years old??? Hard to believe.

And then the venerable 064...what's not to love? Grunt in spades, and still gets way up there in the upper rpm range compared to almost any other saw of similar displacement. Again...over 40 years old??? Stunning saw even today.

Stihls, all. Maybe that's my favorite saw :).

That’s a heavy beast for sure - gotta be near 25lbs with long bar and chain !

Having a look through the threads I’d have to say my personal saw, 550xp 2 at the moment. Used a 550xp 1 on my first course and really liked the power/weight ratio. At work I’m usually using either an Echo CS620 or a new 441. Just really enjoyed a week in the forest, even in the pouring rain everyday using the 550.

I’ve heard great things about the newer 550xp and the 562xp. I’d love to try them but honestly I have too many 50-60 cc saws already and am in need of some 80cc or more.

Hi Jonny ! An 064 (85cc) or 066 (92cc) can be made into a powerful saw if you prefer STIHL ... 395xp “wood” be my choice if you need a BIG saw ... Can run 36” stock ; when hotrodded 42”+ with authority and no prob oiling either... unfortunately last I checked they are NLA from Husqvarna but a local dealer might have leftover ... I might know a guy that has one 😉

2511t, I still get a laugh from how light it is most times I pick it up.

Also love my 440 though. Don't ask me to choose!

Currently 372XP. There've been many through the years... mostly Husky orange, but still run a Stihl 031AV on my Lewis winch ;^)
The one company I contract crane-climb for is all Stihl, their 461 is nice; the other company is all Husky - their 562XP is great, trading for a 395 for the base, flare cut at the end.

I have too many 50-60 cc saws already and am in need of some 80cc or more.

There is no such thing as "Too many".
Who said that? Was it someone here? Can we get them banned for bad influence or just ruff them up a bit on a dark night?

My Anette said that once. She came home next day and there was 250-300 "new" saws in the driveway.
She will not say that again, I am sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I try not to be a collector, particularly with tools. Practically, I think it's better to have intimate knowledge of how a specific tool behaves. Becomes an extension of your body, giving safety and efficiency. I've thought that having 20cc jumps between saws was a good idea, and I've pretty much stuck with that. I have all the saws I need for the rest of my life hopefully, and I love all but one of them. 25cc-40cc-42cc(special use saw)-60cc-90cc. That 42cc is my theft resistant office saw, and the one I don't particularly enjoy. A PoulanPro. It's amazing how crappy they make them now.

My first saw was a PoulanPro from 2012 I think. Well into the "homeowner" phase of production, and I thought it was a good running saw, and unfairly got a bad rap from "elitists". It cost $150, and provided that level of value+. The sticker price on the new one is the same, but I'm not sure it gives $150 in value. The av is nice since the old one made my fingers buzz, but it just feels cheap all over, and I still haven't gotten the tuning right. I'm starting to think it might be the saw and not my lackluster tuning ability.

It’s always a crapshoot buying used unless you actually know the owner ... At the price point he’s asking you might be better served buying new ... A 572xp pho with larger dawgs, larger clutch cover and wrap handlebars can be found for $800 and that’s brand new

I really like the stihl 462, good power with a 20 inch bar. It also seems really lite when you go back to running 461.

I own both the 462c and the 572xp ... both are hotwoods ported and are considerably quicker than their stock brethren ... 20” on the STIHL , 24” on the Husqvarna ... ported either one will pull a 32” if needed ... seems like the husqvarna might oil a longer bar better imho

Not mine, just near me. I don't know anything about these. Any good?

I love my dolmars, but i don't have that particular model. Makita has owned them for a few decades, so the makita branded saws are the same. Very good quality professional saws, with none of the oiler or gas cap problems.

Back