What's the smallest diameter tree size that can be safetly worked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get your point and understand the situation. A more comfortable, wearable hardhat will be on my next order. I have been reading the reviews on a new one over the past few weeks.

Working in wet heat is tough.

Butch gives Coolvest a thumbs up.

I may get one too. For some of our "hot days".

Bailey's logging supply has some pretty nice screen safety glasses for about $6. (Stylish. )

There is a thread here about "Coolvest." A lifesaver in the heat, I have been wearing mine already this year.

I worked a lot of years in only a ball cap and with no safety glasses. I always assumed the headaches and destruction would be below me. Pretty much worked out. (I just have one very small blind spot and no brain injuries.) Suprising how easy it was for me to get safety glasses worked out after that.

Etho, nobody's trying to scold you or put you down, they're just trying to look out for you. A lot of these guys and gals have logged thousands of hours in a tree and are the best in the business. You asked for their honest advice and opinion and they're giving it. I had a dead limb out of a laurel oak whack me on the noggin last week. It really rang my bell but if I hadn't had my headgear on it undoubtedly would have been a lot worse. I haven't tried the Coolvest, but I've tried some of the neck coolers and they work fairly well. Scott (BOTS) turned me on to the mesh glasses TreeStuff handles and I really like them, no more fogging. I've got a pair of mesh goggles too, but the glasses are more comfortable IMO.

Scott (BOTS) turned me on to the mesh glasses TreeStuff handles and I really like them, no more fogging. I've got a pair of mesh goggles too, but the glasses are more comfortable IMO.

Glad I could help brotha Ray :thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, welcome Etho!

The Kask climbing helmet fits good for me, really like it...Petzl are nice too

Kask are nice, but insulated. Not made for hot, sweaty weather.

I wore a Petzl Ecrin Roc for years. Cooler.

Buy a light colored/ white helmet.

Kask are a bit warmer but fit me like a dream! ..petzl alveo vent was just kinda ok and cooler but the CT x arbor helmet was terrible, just floating around with adjustments :|::|:

IMHO I hate branches hitting my head and twigs poking my eyes. I think Sean once posted about eyeballs are as poke resistant as grapes. ;)

I prefer a compact and sleeker profile for helmet and eye protection, gotta have it, I feel naked without it, it's way better than the brain bucket I had to wear in the army.

When I first started climbing my boss told me he could find me by finding the hard hat on the ground then looking up:lol: I think I lost it in every tree I climbed at first. It was one of those cheap construction types and I just could not keep the thing from falling off. A no brim climbing helmet w/chin strap was a great find for me.

I always wear my hard hat. But once in awhile it might end up off my head in a non critical setting. I don't need a hard hat to file my saw on the tailgate. However, no pictures of me without my hardhat. And none on the net. I don't need to hear lectures about not wearing ppe while I'm in absolutely no possible danger.

I always add a 4 point attachment strap to my skullbuckets.

Hey, Butch! How does the four point attachment differ from what comes with a standard Petzl helmet, for instance? Also, where can a guy obtain that add-on brim and neck protector? I'm assuming, maybe wrongly, that your four-way
attachment is part of that brim and neck protector arrangement?

It would be nice to have that neck protector built in like that especially, just to keep from burning the heck out of it all summer long.

Thanks in advance for any answer you choose to give.

Tim

I like a brimmed hard cap, my face gets cooked without a brim. Even though the ppe police might have a hissy, I don't always wear a chin strap. If it's windy or I'm wiggling through some thick stuff I usually just crank down the ratchet adjuster a click or two. I like that shade Butch, will it work on a cap too?

Back