What is wrong with this Bigleaf maple?

canadiantreeman

TreeHouser
I work for the manager at this resort. This bigleaf maple has problems.

2012-08-28 16.14.42.jpg 2012-08-28 16.14.48.jpg 2012-08-28 16.14.52.jpg 2012-08-28 16.16.10.jpg 2012-08-28 16.17.12.jpg 2012-08-28 16.17.21.jpg 2012-08-28 16.17.27.jpg

Site History/notes/observations:

• Many trees surrounding the maple have been removed in the last 10 years, due to pine beetle, or windthrow.

• The tree was not formerly mulched, the mulch has been added in the last year.

• The soil is sandy, with a layer of sod over much of the crz.

• An access road lies to the S.W. of the tree, within the dripline, but at least 10 feet from the trunk and has been there throughout the trees life.

• No construction excavation has been done within the crz in recent history.

• I removed several tops that had died back in the spring...and I noted that the cambium layer on all of the tops was restricted to small bands maybe 30% of the circumference of the tops. I decided to stop removing dead tops and let the tree translocate what resources it could before the tops went completely.

• Several other tops have since died back.

• Fruiting bodies are present at the base of the tree.

• No rcx has been performed to date.

• Leaf margins appear scorched, as evident in the picture presented.

• We've had a hot, dry summer.

• Irrigation schedule is minimal, enough to maintain the grass.

• No streaking re. verticillium was noted on the tissue removed in the spring.

Obviously the biggest problem is that it is a bigleaf maple on sandy soils in one of the driest climates in Canada. We are just several miles North of the only desert in Canada. Perhaps an increased irrigation schedule would be an asset? I am considering retrenching the tree, reduce the distance water must be carried. I would like to see the area of mulch increased, but that is probably not going to happen. I need to ID the fungus affecting the tree, but haven't done so as yet. If anyone has a clue that would be appreciated, though its not likely as the pics are poor (phone camera).

Any thoughts?

Green lawn usually = frequent shallow irrigation, over time it can lead to a limited tree root system vulnerable to drought stress, heat/cold stress etc.
Consider anthracnose and/or verticillium wilt (not that I am leaning heavily that way)
Any vascular staining?
ID the fruiting bodies? I didnt see them well enough in the pics to know them

There was a response that quoted the original incorrectly. I don't remember who it was that responded

Maybe I'm just being ignorant but I gave up trying to remember names and identify problems like this. It's not like you can do anything about it other than remove the tree. Root problems as indicated by the fungus around the base and tops dying back means you cut it down before it falls down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cmon, Paul...get out your hand lens man...:)

I need better pics of the fungi for sure. Good point about the irrigation, though. No vascular staining was noted on the tissue I removed in the spring, and the dieback seems pretty general rather than local for it to be verticillium. There are no cankers present throughout the structure of the tree, and the leaves seem scorched due to drought/heat stress rather than an anthracnose problem. But, I could be wrong. I think its mostly a problem of increased transpiration rates + unsuitable species + unsuitable irrigation for the species. We also get heavy winds in the winter which have been known to stress out trees planted outside their range in unsheltered spots while the same trees in sheltered spots survive unscathed.

Believe me, Brian I understand where you are coming from. Particularly because I believe this tree is an example of wrong tree/wrong place. But, the manager wishes to keep the tree for as long as possible.

So, I am wondering if retrenchment is a viable management option for retaining the tree into the future. Less distance for the water to travel, I just hope it doesn't shock the tree to death and prevent it from producing shoots.

How old do you think it is?

I'd be thinking drought stress. You're sure there's no signs of vert wilt?

What about armillaria as a possibility? On broadleaved trees where the disease is advanced, top growth and the number and size of leaves may be reduced, particularly when the trees are stressed by other predisposing agents. Decay is white to yellow in colour and has a watersoaked appearance. Of the above-listed species only A. sinapina and A. nabsnona (the latter only in SW B.C.) will be encountered in commercial coniferous forests. The ranges of A. ostoyae and A. sinapina overlap south of approximately 52-53 °N in B.C. It is difficult to distinguish between A. ostoyae and A. sinapina in a colonized stump because both produce white mycelial fans in the bark and cambial zone. However, A. sinapina produces an extensive network of monopodially-branched rhizomorphs while A. ostoyae produces small amounts of dichotomously-branched ones. In addition, the sporophores of A. sinapina are usually darker in colour, smaller, and more numerous than those of A. ostoyae.

As usual probably a combination of things.

consider core aeration, bigger and deeper cores than for the lawn, then backfill with fluffy compost and deep regular watering at the appropriate season. If'n the owner wants to save it, throw in the official Davey Tree deep root fertigation too if you can sell it. :)

I like it...another trip back there sure won't be a hassle at this time of the year :/:. I'd like to take some more pics and investigate the fungi a little further. There is a lombardy whose neighbour (another lombo) I removed in the spring which appears to have the same fungal issues. Perhaps it is the same fungus?

I noted that the cambium layer on all of the tops was restricted to small bands maybe 30% of the circumference of the tops. I decided to stop removing dead tops and let the tree translocate what resources it could before the tops went completely.

&& good non-move.

Fruiting bodies are present at the base of the tree.
No rcx has been performed to date.
Any thoughts?

&& you said it all. RCX!! keep the saw in the scabbard, and break out the shovel and hose. the name of the fungus is less important than what it has done. until that is known, talk of pruning or especially of removal seems a tad premature, if not downright...nah i won't say it, i know where them buttons are; i hit em enough back when. :evil:

Tree is important to site, so obviously I don't want to remove it. But as it is a species not suited to our hot dry summers and winters with colder temps than experienced in its native range, it seems to me like the increased transpiration and lack of available water could be counteracted by reducing the distance the water has to be moved. Downright cart-before-horsing I'm sure.

While I agree with the idea that a more detailed rcx needs to be performed, its not something I have an inclination to do in the middle of tourist season as well without securing a budget for the work. I charge for my time. I'm sure you can appreciate this, Guy. I'm glad you chimed in though.

But, isn't the name of the fungus important in regards to determining what it might have done?

Hi. I know this thread is old, but I was wondering something: Is there a septic field near this tree? Just wondering if something (ammonia) is leeching into the soil? I see trees like this roadside that have accumulated salts.
I sure do understand the stance of skwerl & others (myself included, at times) that it's silly to bang our heads looking for a cause when it's gonna come down to an eventual removal, but it's also in my nature to want to know the reasons & maybe use that knowledge down the line.
I'd like to see people move away from the idea of a single diagnosis on trees. More often than not, it's the cumulative effect of a number of problems. Coming up with a treatment plan that is straightforward and realistic can be a tricky thing.

" it's also in my nature to want to know the reasons & maybe use that knowledge down the line."

human nature!

"I'd like to see people move away from the idea of a single diagnosis on trees. More often than not, it's the cumulative effect of a number of problems. Coming up with a treatment plan that is straightforward and realistic can be a tricky thing."

It ain't easy. You want resources to translocate down declining limbs, but you also want the tree to retrench where resources are sufficient.

Liking the aeration idea--after all those removals, soil must be way compacted.

Whatever happened to this one? find any more shrooms?

Bigleaf is still around, dessication hit it again and it looked like some tips died back throughout the year. But, I have convinced the manager to lightly fertilize in the spring and increase the deep soaks in the summer, as opposed to increasing shallow watering. It appears there is not much room to remediate the site due to the desired manicured look, but I'm working on it! I'm going to try and get a positive ID on the fungus and do an RCX in the spring. I've since taken down a lombardy poplar on the same site and need to go back, poison the stump and then grind it out later this year, so I'll work it all in then.

Certainly, TC3, the tree's stressors are cumulative, and many. Being situated right beside an access road, being located in a lawn type setting where there is a sandy loam soil and shallow infrequent waterings, and having several neighbouring trees removed are some of the big ones. I'd sure like to ID the fungus, but it seems to me to be related to the mulch used rather than any root rot. Its a fun case!

Back