What certs, do you need on your safety equipement

PCTREE

Treehouser
Just wondering what certs you guys need to be able to use safety gear such as ascenders etc. I saw a line clearance guy a while back say every thing he used had to be ansi rated I believe?? What do you guys look for?????

Life support = 22Kn or thereabouts. No certs, just good, strong, well maintained, professional grade stuff. Like LJ says, you have to use common sense. Safe working load is about 1/10th of the breaking strength for life support, 1/20th for rigging dynamic loads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But what Im getting at is I want to start selling an ascender system for arborist use and am interested in maximizing my selling capacity. Im currently trying to get it ansi and CE approved. Would this suffice for line clearance dudes???

But what Im getting at is I want to start selling an ascender system for arborist use and am interested in maximizing my selling capacity. Im currently trying to get it ansi and CE approved. Would this suffice for line clearance dudes???

I hope you have a WHOLE LOT of liability insurance. This is the good ole US of A! It's not a question of IF you will get sued, but WHEN and for HOW MUCH.

I hope you have a WHOLE LOT of liability insurance. This is the good ole US of A! It's not a question of IF you will get sued, but WHEN and for HOW MUCH.

I guess the US of A isn't gonna be much of a innovator anymore if attitudes like that prevail.

I say go for it and good luck with it. I have no help on the certs question though.

PCTREE, I doubt you'll sell enough to turn a profit.

I'd bet that you wouldn't sell enough to have enough profit to pay yourself minimum wage.

technically, it needs to be 23. The correct poundage is 5000 and 22 falls short. Now, it probably doesnt matter THat much until someone gets hurt and equipment gets inspected.

That's the common sense part.

I guess the US of A isn't gonna be much of a innovator anymore if attitudes like that prevail.

I say go for it and good luck with it. I have no help on the certs question though.

It is what it is. I'm not saying to give up on innovation, just to be ready for a lawsuit when some idiot hurts or kills himself using your product. Americans like to sue people when they get hurt; its like hitting the lottery.

yeah the litigiousness of our culture sucks. I cannt get liability insurance for this product. Im thinking about setting up a couple of LLCs to try to cover my butt and put everything in my wifes name..........

Gotta love lawyers.......:?

I have a disclosure document filled which is held by patent office for 2 years and just documents when I invented system, A patent costs about $25k:( I hope to start selling them soon and if they take off then I will think about the patent. I have talked to a few guys who have inventions out there ( Greg Good ((GRCS)) Morgan Thomson ((Unicender))) and they all pretty much agree that patents arent woth much as people can change things etc etc and even if they copy it exactly you still have to pay to sue them. Did I mention I hate lawyers........

A lot of the line clearance guys work for big companies that have safety regulations requiring them to use gear with a label right on it saying it meets a certain std. If you can find out exactly which std your product needs to comply with, it's a simple thing to make a label (assuming the product actually does comply). There is no agency or organization out there who tests products to ensure compliance and issues these labels. The line clearance companies do this I think mainly to cover themselves if an employee gets hurt due to equipment failure. If it had a label, they can say it wasn't their fault because they used approved equipment. If it didn't have a label, they can say it wasn't their fault because the employee was using non-approved gear he wasn't supposed to be using.

Good luck with the liability insurance - you'll need it (both the luck and the insurance). :(

Back