Weekend Fishing Trip

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
H

Hobby Climber

My younger brother had asked me to go north with him for a weekend fishing trip. This is the place where he has been vacationing with his wife & kids for the past 14 years.

Any reason to go fishing is a good enough reason for me to say "I'm in"!

The place where we went is called, Point Au Baril Station, the biggest town near it is Parry Sound Ontario. (About 3 hours north of Toronto Ontario).

This is the 3000 Islands area and believe me they aint kidding...islands everywhere! My brother Jeff knows the area very well...I on the other hand was lost about 100 yards away from the dock.

My dad(age 74), brother, his son & I all went there together and we all had a great time catching fish!

Here are a few picks of the trip.

Enjoy:

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The week before & after were booked. For some reason the weekend we went was unusually empty. It was very cold and the weatherman was calling for rain but it didn't happen!

This was the only other boat out where we were fishing. The other is another pic of some of the cabins we stayed at.

BTW, I also caught an 8" musky...the little bugger took on a 4" Johnsons silver minnow lure! That fish has no concept of scale!

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
I caught 3 keepers the first day and 4 the second day. All I used was a simple lead jig head (No Paint) tipped with a minnow!

There was a slot size in effect for the area so if the walleye was between 16" to 20" long, they had to be released. I had to toss two others back,:cry:.

Wow, what a fun time! Nice boat, nice cabin and time with family, and fishing....doesn't get any better than that!

BTW, I also caught an 8" musky...the little bugger took on a 4" Johnsons silver minnow lure! That fish has no concept of scale!
Years ago when peoples' farm ponds got over populated with bluegills etc the state Of Ohio would give them a pair of Muskies .These things are eating machines and will eat anything that won't eat them .

The idea was that the muskies would thin the population then get caught and removed from the pond .It didn't always work exactly like that .In rare instances they would get rather large like 10-12 pounds before they were caught . Imagine hooking one of those on a canepole .:D

Nice looking place!

My gramps used to do a lot of fishing for muskies in Illinois. I inherited his tackle box with the lures he used. Those Muskie lures have big hooks!
Think they use wire leader as well = big teeth.

When I was a youngster ,my father and uncles plus myself made fishing trips to about the Canadian border on the great lakes .The fishing was for big northerns . I've only seen just a few muskies ever hooked and those were too small in those days to keep ,thrown back .

In those days it was braided line ,20-30 pound test and using a 6 foot steel leader on the end .Attached for bait was a 3 to 5 inch red and white daredevil lure ,looked weird to me to use as a lure . Why in the world his thing would appeal to a fih for food amazed me .:? I later found out or so they said that the lure was intended to annoy the fish into striking at it .

I can tell you from experiance that if you ever take a young boy on a fishing trip like that he will remember it all his life ,I have .:)

Hey Jeff,

I thought about you once I got that little bitty musky in the boat. Judging by the snapshots pined to the bulleten board in the fish cleaning shak, this place holds a lot of musky, nice size one at that!

You'd love this area with all its Bass, Pike, Walleye, Musky etc. Lots of different fish friendly waters for all types of fish.

There are a few land locked lakes in the area too with easy access!

We were doing very well each day at this time of year so you can imagin how good the fishing would be in the spring & summer months!

Below are two pic of my brothers son,(was with us this past weekend). That Bass he's holding was caught just off the doc, (shown in 2nd pic).

He was telling me that in the evenings there after dinner, he catches pike one after another during "golden hour" off the dock!

This place is great!!! I'll be going back for sure!

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 12
  • GetAttachment 1.jpg
    GetAttachment 1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 12
Back