Wallenstein Chipper

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
We looked at the brand new 10" chipper last year at Landscape Congress, expressed some interest but it was untested & overpriced.

The rep from Wallenstein called me the other week and told me about there 8" offering , roughly 2000 pounds weight for around $20,000.. Wondering if anyone has experience with there chippers or could recommend another small chipper?? our planned niche is gonna be smaller yards, tight areas kinda deal. anything in wide open areas or needs a crane to remove i simply can't compete on with companies that just send there crane at everything.

PTO chipper?

Edit: I see they are building powered chippers now. I didn't rate them particularly highly.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We checked out the Morbark 12d aswell, was impressed but dealer support wasn't the greatest at that point in time in ontario. Dealer being nearly 3 hours away.

I rented a 6" Wallenstein this summer for a day when the alt / fan belt broke on my 65.
The Wallenstein as equipped from the RentAll had a 38 hp Kohler or Briggs (can't remember which) with a centrifugal clutch engagement. It got the job done ok. Nothing spectacular, and I'm sure that anyone here used to using a 12" or larger chipper would consider the Wallenstein a toy.

I'm looking forward to the Landscape Trades Expo in January (Toronto). It's a good show, and at least three (maybe 4) times bigger than TCI Expo. Lotsa stuff to drool over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I rented a 6" Wallenstein this summer for a day when the alt / fan belt broke on my 65.
The Wallenstein as equipped from the RentAll had a 38 hp Kohler or Briggs (can't remember which) with a centrifugal clutch engagement. It got the job done ok. Nothing spectacular, and I'm sure that anyone here used to using a 12" or larger chipper would consider the Wallenstein a toy.

I'm looking forward to the Landscape Trades Expo in January (Toronto). It's a good show, and at least three (maybe 4) times bigger than TCI Expo. Lotsa stuff to drool over.

We went the last two years, definitely worth the trip.

I bought a used cr60 this summer, mainly because it was a good deal. It had just over 120 hours on it and I think it now has 300ish. The only problem we had was the shitty weld on the chute, had to be redone better.

It has been a big upgrade from our vermeer 625. The infeed is way bigger, has a 38 kohler, reversing autofeed. When the knives are fresh it eats up brush fairly quick.

Im not sure how well it will hold up over time. The plan for me is to get a nine inch in the next year and then keep this one as a backup/small job chipper. Time will tell...

I liked the chute rotation on the Wallenstein better than on my Bandit 65. Very smooth. And the fact it had a clutch (centrifugal clutch, but still a clutch) is a big plus over the direct drive 65. (original starter has been rebuilt once, and is now toast, am on starter #2, which is starting to act up, and have purchased a new starter, #3 for the bullpen) my Hatz diesel (Bandit) is more torquey than the 38hp Wallenstein, but overall, I was pretty impressed with it. Didn't like the small wheels and low infeed table height. Have never tried a Vermeer 625, (the little infeed opening on it looks very irritating).
Are the Wallenstein knives double-sided? Is anvil adjustment / removal a PITA?

We just bought a Vermeer 900 this summer. It works great for us. Same niche as you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The knives are two-sided, we flip/change ours every couple-three weeks, maybe a month if no big removals. Anvil is pretty straight forward. The small wheels do suck, I think that was one of their upgrades on the newer models.

EMR, no offense, but I did look at the Vermeer as well and wasn't so impressed. I don't like putting 5-6 inch material in mine all that much, so I can't imagine 9 inches with the same hp ( 38 vs. 40, but who's counting :) ). Plus the 900 seemed oddly designed with the clutch engagement in the front of the machine. If I remember correctly, the disk was at a right angle on the Vermeer also. But I guess hey do have the experience and name brand.

All in all when, I compared the two and their retail price (18k vs. 24kish i believe it was), I was not so inclined to go with the Vermeer. Then when my machine came up for sale at 10k with 120 hours, I figured what the heck, might as well give it a try.

No offense here.... You raise some valid points. There are many things to think about when purchasing a chipper. We looked at several different brands and the fact that Vermeer has excellent service very close to us and no other company has any sort of presence was the biggest factor for us..... That and the Bandit salesman shit the bed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back