Using a "tree" pulley foe rock climbing?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
When setting top rope anchors, I like to hang a CMI slack tending pulley at the top as the main anchor point. I showed two Joshua Tree climbing guided (45 years experience between the two of them) and asked what they thought and they could not say "no" fast enough.

When I asked why not, they were unable to give a plausible reason. The best they could offer was:

- you never know what could happen
-that type of use would not be condoned by the manufacturer.

I called them silly gooses, then we continued with the climbing.

So, rock climbing tree climbers- see anything wrong with that setup?

I'll be calling CMI this week to hear what they say.

love
nick

I don't rock climb; but we tree guys adopted rock climbing gear (such as those pulleys) to tree work; not the other way around. So what's the problem?

When I worked for a tree company in the early 70's I "snuck" some basic non-locking oval carabiners (Eiger or SMC, I think) into my tree gear...I had learned to use the biners to rappel and rock climb with in 1969. The tree guys thought I was a bit nuts to be using rock climbing eqpt. and rappel techniques in tree work...now we use that stuff all the time. (Of course, them teaching me the tautline was a whole lot better way to get around in the tree than any rock climbing technique that I knew)

It's about time tree stuff migrated back to rock climbing...I bet CMI gives you the "thumbs-up".

The only reasons I can think of to not use the CMI pulley are that it's probably not designed for handling frequent falls and that it increases stress on the belay anchor.

It seems plausible but it's an extra link in the chain and another potential failure point. Personally, I'd rather climb with just biners as a top rope anchor. It's easier to climb all out when you have less gear to wonder about.

A little friction on a top rope is good.

Go buy some gear and start learning to lead climb. thats where is at. Most of the accidents around here are inexperienced top ropers by the way.

When I "top rope" in trees, I don't use a pulley either

It would surely be nicer to your rope than a biner. I would think you would have to be extra careful that the pulley could not contact anything while holding any kind of fall. A locking biner would seem less vulnerable.

Yeah its good to have the friction of two biners at the top.
pulley would be to fast IMO

From what I've seen most high angle disciplines aside from tree work are far too hoity-toity brain dead about their equipment. It kills innovation.

Friction at the top would reduce loads at its anchor as well as the belay.

However, like Stumper said, there's nothing wrong with using it.

I use the same pulley for top roping, and it works great. However, I do back it up with another anchor sling and biner just in case. I like the reduced friction because it makes the belayer's job of tending slack easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bounce- you've hit on exactly why I like doing it. It's super smooth for the belayer.

And No Bivy, I know...I know...top roping isn't nearly as fun as leading. But when I bring new climbers out to try it, you sorta have to stick to the training wheels. All you have to do is show them a cam, and that can sometimes get their mind spinning on how cool leading is!

love
nick

Leading is commitment, I've done a bit it didn't take long to get myself into a situation that was beyond my comfort level.

newbie belayers should have the extra friction of biners.....IMO

Back