USFS Rigging and Removal workshop/certification

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome Photos!!! I still need to get my red card and S 212 cert. Its hard just watching my coworkers run saws while I can only swamp for them...I have more experience running saws than most of them too. Not really:X just frustrating.:) I'm pretty sure I'll get my certs next spring though.8) Do you teach S 212, Burnham?

Yeah, I'm an Area Instructor for S-212 and certify A and B level sawyers. We, as most Regions/Forests require, have an outside contractor train/certify level C cutters...by great good fortune I've been under the eye of D. Douglas Dent for 25 years or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How did Mr. Dent gain his knowledge?

I reckon it was in the school of hard knocks, with graduate work in seeing too many other fallers get busted up or killed.

Dent was, and is, smart enough to recognize that cutting techniques could be analysied and described...and that he might make a decent living as a trainer easier and longer than by running a chainsaw until he wore his body out. Maybe sorta like our friend Mr. Beranek.

I wonder how Gerry would answer that question?

Lots of folks go into educating after not being able to make it out there with the skills that they inadequately learned, or maybe just aren't cit out for it for one reason or another. People like yourself, Burnham, and Jerry, and Mr. Dent, learned through the school of hard knocks and lots of experience. You guys are the best educators.

Back