U-Saver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have always been a bit O.C.G.D. Always looking for something new and better... I would hate to think I hadnt tried everything :) Besides it was fun to learn the splice and I wanted one of the rig pulley anyways.

I've heard anywhere from 50 to 60 percent loss when using a girth(or choker hitch as Don Blair calls it), so that much is correct.

The Ropeguide and Pulley saver, when set in a normal manner, do not form a girth hitch, more of a basket style hitch. Unless u pass the prussic the pulley is on all the way through the eye splice or large ring, it's not a girth hitch, at least thats my understanding. Sounds confusing, but I'll try to find a pic.

As for the loopie, loopies are made out of tenex in most cases. The 3/8" tenex I made my loopie from for my dmm rig pulley, is rated for around 5500lbs. In loopie form, doubled up, the loopie has a breaking strength of 11000lbs, since the rope is in effect doubled on itself. This means on a straight pull, or a basket hitch configuration, the loopie will break around 11000lbs. But when used with a girth hitch, it'll break around 5500.

If your loopie is rated at 5500#, and in girth configuration will break at around 5500#, where is the 50% to 60% loss?

And not to argue, but if these do not use a girth hitch, how do they attach to the tree? You can see the girth in the pics.....and the OP Pulley Saver uses some rather small cordage for the prussik.

ed95e72e.jpg

2d64b906.jpg

That's not a girth hitch, bro. I could make something up and call it a cinch hitch, but that's just what I said...made up.

Okay, I think I understand you. It's not a girth hitch (by definition) because it doesn't run through itself? A different piece of cordage runs through the loop? I just sorta generalize them as girth hitches as that's what they appear to be, in that on (or two) legs pass through a formed eye or loop. I yield.

The label of an endless loop sling with the rating in various configurations.
The girth hitch loses 20% strength. but the flat slings are more tolerant than the ropes.

You'll never hurt that one, if it's the Buckingham stitched doubled webbing model...just like Nick A. says.

Haha, yes you can...that is if you've double wrapped it the wrong way around a palm stem then get it stuck trying to get it out from the ground and have to use your pole saw to retrieve it and slip a bit and fray the edge of the webbing...
Time for a new one, I'm using mine on 3/4 the webbing, not a particularly good thing to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So as it turns out I cant use anything handspliced by me at work :( what a bummer.

I did however procure a Big Green purchased Buckingham ring&ring and have been using it with much success! So far I have been able to set it from the ground and retrieve it with no problems. The spliced rig pulley will likely end up with some rigging application or sit unused for a bit.

Can you use stuff hand spliced by abr or the other Nick?

I guess I can understand where the company is coming from but man would I miss all my tight eyes.

Back