Trippy Old Silver Maple we saved!

The storm we are having right now and the ones in the past year and this year would have broke those tops right out I would wager.
Location location location. I am in CA so law suits are a huge consideration on tree recommendations. Or weather up her in the hills is a huge consideration as well. Proximity to the house .......
Good post Willie.
Andy... I can so associate with those thoughts on some of the trees I see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Majority of storm damage we see is rotten at the ground, split leader and high wind with rain fracture.
Cambridge Ontario, rarely sees wind gusts in excess of 90 to 100 km. This tree is on the east side of the house and below the high wind tree line tops.
No twisters or micro tornados, if we ever did get something like that there will be many streets of complete carnage.
Old decayed Silvers are abundant in Ontario.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, Dave. In the end, the owners choose the management option. Ropearmour simply provided an alternative service which he was comfortable doing given apparent experience, understanding and research. It gives me pause for thought. I think we have all removed a tree or two that we thought was worse off than it actually was, after we see it dismantled and bucked up. Some have been worse than we thought too. I would have liked to have seen some more footage of the root crown and cultural conditions around the tree, however.

Did you radial trench, compost or mulch the crz?

I to have removed trees because the money was more wisely spent on the removal and replanting, in the long term.
Only to find that the decay was not as progressed as thought. Might have been able to keep some trees around for a few more years.
Most people are not interested in intense diagnostics, so we have to make guestimates.
We do are best. Hope for the best.

Root flare is intact, longitudinal wound is hiding something on the main bole, I assumed the worst, it is hollow like the limbs.
Turf is in fare shape(dormant but looks like a good mat) with some nice patches of moss and no real weediness to speak of.
Soil must be fair.
Looking forward to see the leaves. that will be greatest indicator of health. Buds and twigs looked typical or better.
Mulching is a great idea and that is one of the nice parts of the work we do is to return any organic matter from whence it came.

Mb next time.
We talked about a structure to go under the limbs for support. Cool holistic approach is to under plant with a few Silvers and use those eventually to support the main structure. It is a bit sad to see a tree solitary. Nice to see them with a few brothers and sisters to share the space with. Commune.
Wish we all had the opportunity to live for ever or mb we do in a way.

That's always a good tactic for a removal that is expected, but not imminently dangerous within 5 years. Plant the replacement now, let it develop and then perform the removal once it's replacement has time to develop. To develop these young uns as a sort of crutch or living brace is certainly an interesting idea. As long as you can convince the homeowners, I suppose.

You've carried yourself well here, mang. For some this would have descended into a pissing match, but you've stood your ground and given sound, reasonable defences without becoming vitriolic. Hat's off to ya.

The large silver maples in these parts were planted maybe 80-100 years ago because they are relatively fast growing .After this amount of time of course many are a little hollow but surprisingly seldom fall over .More so they just loose major limbs which usually spells their removal .

Just watched the video, I think you did good. Nice to see a bit of preservation. That tree has many years left, if you doubt that, read up on Klaus Matthecks biomechanics, and the strength of hollow tubes.

:lol: I've got a sugar maple ,about 25 -30 foot to the crotch, maybe 2 foot across .Hollow from root to crotch .A squirrel can dive in at the roots and pop up at the crotch and just give those red tail hawks the dickens chattering away at them .The looks those hawks have is rather amusing .:lol:

I'm just glad I live in an environment where a single tree seldom carries enough value that we have to push the envelope so hard to save an individual that is so compromised. By that I mean, a replacement tree here can achieve a significant presence in a decade or two.

I recall Old Monkey and his beautiful young daughter visiting here with my wife and me. I hope this is accurate to his memory, too. :) We had a pair of double sized hammocks strung between a trio of 16-18" trees out in front of the house. When told that we had planted all three as seedlings, he lamented that he'd never be able to plant a tree in Boise that could support a hammock, not in his entire lifetime.

I wish we all were so fortunate. Trees are a wonderful amenity.

Unless I planted some cottonwoods which is not going to happen.

I've cut down two or three healthy, much better looking silver maples since this thread started. I am evil that way.

Back