tree cabling supplies

SkwerI

Treehouser
I haven't cabled a tree in almost 10 years, but last week I looked at a tree for a friend that could really use 2-3 cables (3 main leads, included bark, tight forks, oversized) along with some weight reduction on the tips. And yesterday my best client Dave mentioned that the live oak in his back yard is showing signs of splitting, so I need to cable and through-bolt that tree as well.

Where can I buy the cable, quick wraps and lag bolts to do these jobs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never mind, I just found everything I need at Wesspur's website. :D
http://wesspur.com/Cabling/cabling.html

We can leave this thread here for future reference, or maybe specific hints or tips relating to cabling. I may even bring this thread back up and post pictures after I'm done. :)

The tree grips are the same as what the power company uses on the guy wires to hold up the power poles. They have an abrasive grit glued on the inner surface, and are twisted in such a way that you simply wrap the two ends around the end of the cable. I have used them in the past and they are rock solid, the cable will break before they slip.

The Rigguy stuff looks good, but they are NOT cheaper than standard cabling by a long shot.

Buying 250' of EHS cable and all hardware for 5 cables (10 through bolts, nuts and quick wraps) from Wesspur was $180 plus shipping.

Rigguy doesn't sell cable, but just the ends for 5 cables (10 ends) plus one 3-way piece was $156.25 plus shipping. And I would still need to buy the cable.

You can use them on 3/8" cable. I've never used anything bigger than that. What size cable do you want to use?

Yeah rigguy with a gas drill, is about a 10 minute install with the bucket.

Give it a rough measure and then snug it up after its all together. 3/8 ehs is all I have ever used on any size tree. It may be a little more expensive, but you are passing it on anyway.

You may be able to get free scraps from your local utility.....they usually scrap it less then pole length........1/4 ehs is reallly frickn' strong....3/8 damn thats big

rigguy stuff - used the three way hub in a big red oak awhile back - worked well

The RigGuy system looks easy to install, but I'm wondering if its as secure as the traditional hardware. I'm worried about the cable pulling through that tapered nut thingy. Has anyone done any controlled testing on these?

You may be able to get free scraps from your local utility.....they usually scrap it less then pole length........1/4 ehs is reallly frickn' strong....3/8 damn thats big

thats what i was thinking, i have 3/8 for really big stuff but i charge more cause its a pain to work with.

Find a haven's grip on ebay and save a small fortune compared to what an arb or linesman catalog wants.

The RigGuy system looks easy to install, but I'm wondering if its as secure ...anyone done any controlled testing on these?
yup rigguy has, the video is on the website.

I'm biased to wirestops cuz i never learned the other. very happy with results as are clients. :D

Is there any independent, third-party testing being done? Maybe Gilman will take this on when he gets bored?

i wonder what "traditional terminal hardware" is. i dont need 6 feet, 5 parts, 3/4" holes and ive never seen the "wear" they claim

wesspur has heavy duty 3/8 thimbles at .49, 18"x1/2" eye and nut bolts at 6.50, and 3/8" grips at 8.75 for a total of 15.74 and thats the most expensive of each item and rated for 15000 pounds

Back