Trailer Hitch Project

Nick, go down to a U-haul rental place or even a tool rental place. They will fix you up with whatever your little heart desires.

My 4500lb Manlift uses a 2 5/16", as does both trailers, the RG85 grinder's trailer.

The RG50 is the only 2" I have.

I don't see a problem going with either setup.

I'm going to disagree with Dave and Erik on this one. If you have multiple trailers, the long term benefits of standardization outweigh the miniscule price savings of buying a roto-ball over the cost of replacing a coupler (if any). Change it once and be done with it.

And from looking at the tongues on those trailers, they certainly don't look heavy enough to justify a 2 5/16" hitch. The 2" will work fine.

But Lovey won't see my advice since he's ignoring me. Oh well.

Love,
Skwerl

I'm going to disagree with Dave and Erik on this one. If you have multiple trailers, the long term benefits of standardization outweigh the miniscule price savings of buying a roto-ball over the cost of replacing a coupler (if any). Change it once and be done with it.

And from looking at the tongues on those trailers, they certainly don't look heavy enough to justify a 2 5/16" hitch. The 2" will work fine.

Love,
Skwerl

He doesn't have me on ignore

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The rotoball idea would be a fine solution, but there is one more component to this that I didn't tell y'all about...Dummies.

If you drive Van A, and tow w/ the 2 5/16 hookup, then tomorrow another group has to take van B out with the same trailer, but van B has a 2" ball on it....

Twice (prior to me working there) in the past 6 months have they had the ball pop right out because people weren't being attentive when hooking up.

We are hoping to take out the human factor and standardize the setup for all trailers and tow vehicles. From what I'm gatherin' from y'all- it doesn't really matter what size I got with, either.

I guess it'll boil down to which parts we can find easier.

love
nick

Standardize... I did it here with all trucks and then it dont matter which one goes where with whom towing what. Same ball on every truck with same receiver on every towing tongue. Easy Peazy. Harbor freight and Northern Tool has hitches as does a local U-Haul etc.

Definitely a valid concern when you employ idiots.

;)

Standardization does make sense, though.

I think either hitch would work fine. I standardized to the pintle hitch on all my stuff. I'm idiotproofing for myself!

Love,
Skwerl

This is true Brian but in my case, it is hard to get my dad my brothers and the rest of the family to standardize. When you all live on farms a lot of machinery and a lot of trailers so it pays to have options. It's whatever best fits ones needs....:D

The rotoball idea would be a fine solution, but there is one more component to this that I didn't tell y'all about...Dummies.

love
nick
Well,you have a point there .It's impossible to actually fool proof things around fools .Some people just don't get it . Some would be had pressed to pour piss out of a gum boot with the directions stamped on the heel .

I'm with Nick on the pintle... definitely handle more load, and hitch up easier.

Well all balls are not created equal haha.
Just check the thickness of the stud.
Its true ..

I couldnt resist, but it is true.
you need a thick stud to support larger balls.:O:O:D

at one time i too had trailers w/ different sized hitches. a 1-7/8, a 2 and a 2 5/16. I sold the largest trailer (25/16) and replaced it w/ a 2. all the others w/ the 1 7/8, i took off and bought a 2" hitch.

my chipper has a pintle ring so my two trucks have pintle balls on them. I can hook up either a ring or ball hitch on both.

A praticular ball size , could have different ratings depending on the stud size which has already been stated .

Kind of silly though to pull a 2 5/16 on a 3/4 " stud though but people do it . Mine is either a one inch or one and a quarter inch and rated at 12 or 15 thou ,I forgot which but it's a heavy duty Judy for sure .

Back