Tracked Chippers in the USA?

Carlton, will most likely have some nice custom chippers. From what I gathered from the mechanics and fab guys in the shop they will pretty much build it if you spec it out with their engineers.

LJ, In my opinion an 18 inch chipper would be overkill. 15 seems to be a good balance, between curb weight and capacity.

Course if I had the money, and the work I would like a 20xx woodsman with grapple loader. With custom roll off chip truck. :D

I can't slow down my woodsman 15x with brush, the auto feed doesn't even kick in. Logs will trip it on. But logs always fill the chip truck hella fast.

I can get rid of chips without having to make a 40 mile trip to the dump. Oak goes to my firewood guy who usually pics it up.

My dump trailer can hold 20 yards no problem. With as much real estate as it has, on smaller jobs I can blow chips in the front, logs in the back,

The dump is free, but it's still near 20 miles out (40 round trip). I have and can develop more places to dump chip for free, or haul them here for personal use/potential future sale. Also the time savings would be nice, allowing me to be more competitive on jobs removing several trees.

I'm not knocking your plans whatsoever. I feel you on the dump being miles away. Mine is the same way. Get the biggest one you can then. I think chip sales will pick up if fuel prices go up again.

I get 10.00 a yard if there is no PO in them :D The Master Gardeners can get them for free from others, but the others don't sharpen their blades real well and off load LOTS of sticks :D

Very few will pay for chips, but now and then a Craigslist ad offering free chips nets me dump sites galore; never more than 3 miles from the job.

We have a chip burning plant one town over so selling them is always an option if it is on the way. They only pay about $20 a ton. I can usually sell them for $50 a load to customers. Most of the time it just makes more sense to have a free dumpsite nearby to make the job go faster.

Agreed, on the speedy part. I had good success with newpaper ads and a small magnetic sign on the chip truck from time to time.

I also have a motocross track that fluffs the course with them to save on dirt cost. They actually built a new section of the track using chip piles topped with clay.

Most of the time it just makes more sense to have a free dumpsite nearby to make the job go faster.

:thumbup:

We do the same thing. Closer to dump for free on someone that can use them is often cheaper than delivering them and charging in these hills. Same with pine needles... Yup.. People will take them for gardens. Leaves too.

I've been getting 100- 150 a load (about 12 yards) for chips somewhat regularly

Attachments

• CIMG0850_3.jpg
    CIMG0850_3.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 9
  • CIMG0844_2.jpg
    CIMG0844_2.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG0860_2.jpg
    CIMG0860_2.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 6
  • CIMG0876_2.jpg