Tornado work

• Thread starter The Branch Doctor
  • Start date
  • Replies 50
  • Views 7K
Sounds like the same location "Twighlight Zone" was filmed.

I can't even imagine being in a tornado.
I think of witches with ruby slippers and little people.

I was saying "sounds fun" referring to the rigging challenges of tornadoado trees,
not the fact there was a tornado. That's terrible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew what you were saying. It's just that even the fun stuff isn't fun on this one. I can't explain it... there's just a cold vibe in the trees...

I know that sounds stupid but like I said... I can't explain it.

guess im in the same boat as deva. closest ive seen are dust devils and the rigging scenarios are playing through my mind

be careful...dont let the pressure make you hurry, thats when you will fock up and get hurt.

I knew what you were saying. It's just that even the fun stuff isn't fun on this one. I can't explain it... there's just a cold vibe in the trees...

I know that sounds stupid but like I said... I can't explain it.

I know man! I know exactly what you are saying. I had to do some post-tornado site surveys in a neighboring city, recently. The first morning after, I was sitting on the highway amongst a mass of twisted pines. The smell of the sap was strong in the air, their was just a "chill" that couldn't be explained. If it was just the shock setting in after seeing Mother Nature's wrath or the fact that I had been through there the day before, and realized it would never be the same again... it's just a chill.

Yeah, the "Chill"!! I liken it to the "smell of death" when you walk into an ICU!!

NOTHING is right, and nothing feels right about it!!

Dang Jason. Looks rough over there. I've been wanting to drive up there to see the extent of the damage first hand. I can't do work out there because I would have to inconvenience scheduled/paying customers.--I'm afraid, I'd also loose a lot of customers. I don't know how you guys are doing it. You must be working looong hours.

Like commented before, think thoroughly and be safe.

Shock does weird stuff to people. Being afraid for their lives one day & getting their brains to function right the next is almost too much. Immediate hazards will be the only thing addressed for weeks. Tree repair & subsequent biz comes way later, if at all.
Watch for power lines, watch for power lines, watch for power lines.
Have lotsa patience with customers... their shock often comes out as anger.
Be safe, man.
Thanks for the pix. More if / when you can ? I'm sure it doesn't begin to describe what your eyes are seeing & your heart is feeling.

I've been in some crazy ass trees doing some sketchy rigging and I've never come close to the overwhelming feelings that encompassed me on Friday. I FELT that chit.

Bone chilling.

We had the biggest wind storm in 30 years in our parts a month ago.we are still cleaning up. take care of your self man.

I've never seen a class 3 but I had a class one go right over my head a few years ago and had a post on the forum about it . Eerie would be a good description .

The hail was coming at a perfect 90 degrees to the road I was on .I stopped of course.When the winds hit a woods about 1/4 mile ahead of where I was at the time it looked like artillery fire from chit going every where ,dang .That was just the head winds .

I had made it to my house when the actual twister went over .Just prior to,the provebial calm .When it passed over it was like a giant vacuum,the tree limbs sucked right up in the air,weird . 30 seconds later,it was all over .

It twisted the tops out of two of my trees,tripped a 100 foot hickory and just kept going . The damned thing might knock over half a dozen trees one place and miss every thing for half a mile . I think in all it must have knocked over a dozen barns but didn't get the first house .Which is very lucky and very amazing .

All that said ,it happens so fast there is no where to run ,no where to hide .:O

I'm glad we don't get what I would consider a real tornado here. They are far more scary than hurricanes, which we also rarely get.

Here's a few more carnage pics.

Attachments

• Tornado 08 031.jpg
    Tornado 08 031.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Tornado 08 032.jpg
    Tornado 08 032.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Tornado 08 033.jpg
    Tornado 08 033.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4
  • Tornado 08 034.jpg
    Tornado 08 034.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Tornado 08 035.jpg
    Tornado 08 035.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Tornado 08 036.jpg
    Tornado 08 036.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Tornado 08 037.jpg
    Tornado 08 037.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 5
Boyoboy, Doc...have to take my hat off to you and the rest handling that mess and sorrow. Be careful, please.

I'm alright guys, thanks for asking! I'll be in and out of that town for a while.... seems like the damage is endless. It still bothers me but nothing like it did that first day.... I pretty much did a swan dive into a pool of chaos that day!:\:

Anyway, I'm working in Ft. Collins tomorrow so I don't have to even think about that place.:D

Thanks again for being concerned everybody!!!!!!! I REALLY appreciate it!:)

Slow low and steady!!!
Then take some time for yourself, you can't help everyone right now, so keep you're sanity!

Doc, take your time, work safe and make a decent buck at it. see you when you get it done.

dont rush, dont be greedy and dont disregard safety for $$. In the long run I betcha it will bite you in the a$$.

be well amigo!

Word, I hear ya Paul.... that's how I'm rolling.

Thanks Gigi.

Back