Tonneau or Toolbox?

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I've been thinking about replacing my standard toolbox with a tonneau, but I'm hesitant due to security issues. Does anyone know how tough the hard tops are? Maybe even fabricate an extra lock, somehow?

Any pros or cons from experienced owners?

2004-dodge-ram-tonneau.jpg

Never had a tonneau, but always had canopies. Fiberglass is fiberglass, and if they want in, they'll get in. If you're looking for security, I'd think about a toolbox, unless it's a helluva tonneau.

I made a tonneau for my truck last year to cover from the toolbox to the tailgate. I thought it might help fuel economy slightly on road trips, but it didn't. It helps keep stuff 'out of sight, out of mind' and my tailgate is lockable so it's relatively secure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the regular toolbox right now.

Attachments

• silverado_trim.JPG
    silverado_trim.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 13
I have a small toolbox, its under the bedrails, unless you come up to the truck and look in the box you cant really see it.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 8
You can't really see it at all but there's a toolbox in there, I'm not into the tonneau's.

Attachments

• IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 55
I have both. With the long box, I put a spacer on the front of the short box cover to make up the 3" difference.
Sorry it is the only picture I have, doesn't show it very well.

Attachments

• IMG_1190 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1190 (Small).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 54
The problem with a tonneau is small stuff will roll around and you have to take it off if you want to haul anything large. And you'd better make sure you secure the latch for the tailgate, it's a weak link!
I forget who, but someone makes a roll up cover out of extruded alum. that is pretty nice. It covers everything up, but you can roll it all up in a little box at the back of the cab if you need the bed open for large items.
Myself am a box man, its all there and locked up and out of the weather.

How do you "make a tonneau," Brian?

Finish grade 3/8" plywood, aluminum C channel and polyurethane, mostly. I riveted the channel along the inside lip of the bed, cut the plywood to fit and then painted it with 3 coats of poly. It's not great but it came out ok for a tree guy. I'll get pictures tomorrow for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forget who, but someone makes a roll up cover out of extruded alum. that is pretty nice. It covers everything up, but you can roll it all up in a little box at the back of the cab if you need the bed open for large items.

I like that one. It doesn't look as cool, but it's way more functional.

From the experiances you have had Butch,whatever you decide to do make it like Ft Knox.

I've seen covers that go on after the tool boxes.Not functionally security safe,just look nice .

If its saws were talkin about I think its hard to beat those job box type things like Rigid makes.

Bed covers to me sorta negate the reason you buy a truck - you can no longer just throw whatever you want in there. Its a large semi secure trunk.

Here's my homemade tonneau. Water has soaked in around the screws a little and discolored it. Paint would probably work better than polyurethane if I ever redo it. The knob is just to pick up on the back and line it up as I shut the tailgate.

http://www.800toolbox.com/5thwheel/5thwheel.htm

check out the 5th wheel boxes. they sit on the deck and come up as high as the bedrails. ive had these with both a vinal cover and canopy. i like them better just open. heavier aluminum than your current box and you can get them in diamond plate, smooth, anodized any color or even in steel with a lifetime warrentee

Back