Time Lapse Tree Work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4cYSIpPTfiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Did an oak today, then drove all the way to New Jersey to see Megs family, so plenty of laptop time in the car. Didnt get the best angle but I had the footage and the time so...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kLzDnwsf7XE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its just something I enjoy.. And it is far easier than editing helmet cam footage, My Mac doesnt handle HD video editing very well and my camera only goes down to 720 or something.

I get the impression you arent a fan?

This is the first time I have changed the speeds of individual clips in a straight time lapse. No music nothing to exciting but alright.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xhipo3MTpWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Removing a decayed leader out of a Red Maple. The leader was secured around half way with a bull line set from the ground through a natural crotch at the roughly the same height. An additional 3 strand line was tied to the top, brush side, and routed through a natural crotch above and to the right. Both lines were locked off on a porta wrap and steel 8. After it came off the cut we decided pretty quick to let the brush side down and let the log windmill up it seemed like the top might not hold and the majority of the weight was being held by the top rope.

We definitely didnt intend for it to flip like that, but as it came down, Duane was on the ropes and I was clearing backwards perpendicular to the line of the limb , he decided on the fly that the top might not hold the weight and let it down quickly but not all that fast. It was quick but not as quick as the timelapse makes it seem.

I am glad we installed both lines, our contingency came up and the safeguards,:escape route & the high rope, gave us the time to react.

In retrospect I would have made sure the high line was in a stronger crotch. The windmilling wasnt ideal but it all worked out. It was a pretty big leader relative to the other trees in the yard, almost to big for the 18" chipper down at the bottom.

Not really timelapse but its one shot of uncut video at 1500% speed. 52 minute Pin Oak reduction boiled down to 3 and a half minutes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DjC98hbn824" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not likely to make many friends by saying this, but that's the kind of pruning I see every single day around here and it kills more trees than all other causes combined. I'm the asshole because I rant and rave against tree guys who trim trees by climbing as high as they can and cutting every green leaf they can reach on their way down. Everybody does it and nobody gives a frig that they are creating tons of future problems while solving none. But it looks good (for a couple months) and people love it because they can see that a bunch of stuff was cut out and they got 'a good haircut'. :(

You went halfway out every single limb (or further) and stripped them all. What exactly do you think this will accomplish? How will the tree react to having all the interior foliage stripped out? I challenge you to begin looking at the effects of this style pruning over time. I used to prune like that and almost every single tree I pruned like that is now gone.

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback, being honest isnt always popular but its honest! When I started working for Big Green they told me I didnt prune hard enough, since I want to climb a bit more and chip a bit less I try to do it the way they want and sell it to the customer.

Unfortunately for me I do take instructions from a home owner. This is Burger King and I am a monkey with a saw that cuts the limbs that are pointed at. Additionally the guys that are 'training' me have worked there for 30+ years, my foreman was a foreman in 1982, I was born in 1985. "Shigo says...", "I read on the internet..." nor "I like it better this way..." really matter to them.

I do what the work order says and when it says 'prune, thin, and deadwood', what you saw there is exactly what they want.

As much I wish I could be in the 'do the right thing tree care business' I am actually in the 'collect a check and pay the bills' business.

The longer I do this, the more I realize that the majority of tree maintenance work is nothing but a scam. Nobody gives a shit about the tree health, they all want the 'look'. Like a frikkin poodle. :(

I dealt with the same thing at Big Green as well as every other tree company I've ever worked for. Statistically speaking I must be wrong, but I despise robbing people by slowly killing their trees.

Back