The Truck Thread

Stephen, I don't think the kai trucks are street legal in the states, people use them on ranches and golf courses and the like. I'm not sure what the restriction is based upon, though they are a pretty practical vehicle in some respects. There are a few importers in the states and Australia, I see. Yeah, the dumps are even more useful. Over here you can drive the kais on the freeway, they might do about seventy or eighty mph if you can handle the G forces. :\: I hear the Hondas are especially nice for off road, having a positraction rear end or something when in 4wd.

I think they are legal for roads under 45 in missouri, arkansas and oklahoma and maybe a few other states. I have heard that you can get them titled and plated in some states illegaly as a kit car. I really would love one

Me too!

hjtruck.jpg

Reading on the web says different things about the kei trucks in the US. One site is adamant about not street legal. Another says it depends on the state, as in kevin's post, but federal regulations don't look kindly on them. Another site says that all that get imported into the US have a governor installed, so they can't exceed 45mph. They seem like a regular enough car/truck to me, I don't get the hassle. There are kei minivans too.

Pretty cool paint job here, possibly for getting to your deer stand?

Attachments

• Suzuki Camo 3 ATVtruck.jpg
    Suzuki Camo 3 ATVtruck.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 17
One of the farms we've done work on has a bunch of these trucks. They're nice enough but too small in the cab for my taste. No leg room, not much arm space. Not a truck for guys 6ft and over lol.

The newer models have a pretty good amount of extra space now, and some have an area behind the driver for additional storage, and a slim window there. It cuts into the bed length, however. Leg room, not so much, a real tall guy might feel cramped. The real old ones are tiny, but cute.

I've wanted one for awhile. I thought of making a mini bucket truck for parades locally. Or for the instant tree stand wherever you want it.

The 4 wheel drive low gear is pretty low. I can see why a parks service would use them. They can get in and out of trouble. I've been in a few where the drivers tend to be trail blazing maniacs. :O

So I am in negotiations to buy this truck.

5O25E65F23F23N93H1c6q7280b777815c122d.jpg

It's pretty much EXACTLY what I want. American-branded cab over (GMC) aluminum box that isn't super huge (like 8X10'). Good storage for tools/supplies. 180K miles on a 4 cylinder diesel engine.

But here's the catch. Guy wants $17,000 for it in CASH. He won't take a cashier's check, money order, or bank transfer.

He lives in a rural town about 7 hours from here. My plan is to take a friggin bus there, check out the truck, and if it looks legit, buy it and drive it back. If not, take the bus back empty handed. But now I have to greyhound 500 miles with $17,000 in my pocket.

I am trying to get the guy to take me to the bank to get the cash there, but he's whining because it's 40 miles to the nearest Chase Bank.

I don't have question and not really looking for help. Just needed to vent about this stupid situation.

It's a stupid and potentially dangerous situation - beware.

Sweet truck for damn sure!

Sorta up by you... Don't go buying it out from under me! LeGrand, near Merced (about 20 miles south or less)

Here's a map to the nearest Chase bank...

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Le+Grand,+CA&daddr=Chase+Bank,+800+West+Olive+Avenue,+Merced,+CA+95340&hl=en&geocode=FQoQOAIdVijV-ClpkdWkLlSRgDEWKaHXpyC2pA%3BFeZwOQIdaZbR-CEQNceIs0s6ZCkvFSe0TEKRgDEQNceIs0s6ZA&aq=&sll=37.290989,-120.337372&sspn=0.224245,0.441856&gl=us&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=37.290989,-120.337372&spn=0.0908,0.24608&t=m&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Le+Grand,+CA&daddr=Chase+Bank,+800+West+Olive+Avenue,+Merced,+CA+95340&hl=en&geocode=FQoQOAIdVijV-ClpkdWkLlSRgDEWKaHXpyC2pA%3BFeZwOQIdaZbR-CEQNceIs0s6ZCkvFSe0TEKRgDEQNceIs0s6ZA&aq=&sll=37.290989,-120.337372&sspn=0.224245,0.441856&gl=us&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=37.290989,-120.337372&spn=0.0908,0.24608&t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I'd sure as hell be making sure it's all legit before heading out into a rural area to meet some unknown with 17g cash in your pocket. Are you licensed to pack heat?

40 miles to the bank. Maybe the guys a bazillionaire and 17g cash isn't worth his time. Are you going to have the truck inspected in anyway? No offense Nick, you have alot of skills that I don't possess but in knowing you through the internet over the years you don't seem like you've skinned alot of knuckles wrenching. My apologies if I got the gist of it wrong.

Sounds like Stephen is your best bet there Nick. I bet he could give that truck a good looking over for you too.

Very bad idea. I don't much care for you but I still can't sit here and let you do something this phenomenally stupid without voicing an objection. There's about a thousand different scenarios which could lead to you coming home broke and broken (if you get home at all). No offense but I don't think you have the street smarts to pull this off safely. You're walking into a potential trap with no means of protection and no backup with $17K in cash in your pocket. The absolute best outcome would be getting arrested with your money confiscated as drug money.

Tell him you can meet at the bank or no deal, period. Let him whine. There isn't a big enough market for his truck for him to pass up a potential sale over this. People are not standing in line for his truck. And $17K is high as hell for a truck with almost 200K miles.

I'd recommend renting a car dolly. Tow it down there behind your car. If you buy the truck then put it on the truck and tow your car home. Otherwise you can drive home with it behind your car. Don't put yourself in a position of being stuck and reliant on a stranger for a way out.

I bought my previous(rolled) bucket for 23g cash. They didn't know I had cash though when I arrived. It's how I got them down from 30g asking, I plunked 23 on the table, take it or leave it.

Back