The Truck Thread

Just make sure not to over do the warm fuzzys :D

320x240.jpg

I guess I did over interpret what you said, Nick. Googling around a bit about foreign steel in cars, I did run across some sites where folks were adamant about only buying US made goods, and they do go to some length to make sure that everything inherent in a purchase is indeed from the good old USA. I mean some folks are really into it. I could see where some people that take it to such lengths, could also be particular about what gets parked in front of their house. Almost like they are on a mission about it.

I have a good friend whose daughter was working for I think Toyota, in one of the dealerships in town here. He told me that since she drove a VW bug, the company wouldn't let her use their employee parking lot, she had to park down the street. I asked him if she finished work after it was dark, to which he replied yes, in the winter when it gets dark early. I asked him if what he was saying is that a young woman would be required to walk down a darkened street to get her car, and that was preferable to the company over her using what was available right where she worked? To that, yes as well. That is indeed the picture of how it works at some places, and I have heard of such things before. Actually, my friend didn't seem too bothered about it, probably not knowing that a large part of the sane world looks at things differently when comparing what is most important, trying not to acknowledge the competition, or the personal safety of an employee. Also, the town where she works is a safe one, probably forefront in his mind to what degree he might consider the matter. Still, I can't help being incredulous, and if it was my daughter, if she didn't want to quit, no doubt what I would have to say to the dealership owner would get her fired. Pretty sick mentality, don't you think.

Nick, that looks like a great rig for your market (without looking at the ad and details). You will bid in a different vehicle mostly, right? You'll show up to the job in that and have to think about the neighbors wanting bids. Over the foreign manufacturer's logo would be a great place for a TreeCareLA sign.

I've shown up for estimates in broad array of vehicles. Including a VW Golf harlequin edition. Google that one. I dare you. It's all in how you talk to em.

I think that black truck might be here on Oahu. I saw the exact same thing, can't imagine there are too many of them out there. I talked to they guy who owned it, had just had it shipped over from the mainland. He knew absolutely nothing about the truck, but I think he liked it because it was big. To me, a waste of a good truck that thing should be pulling equipments and loads of something or other, not just looking pretty IMO.

jp:D

The whole buy American theme is great. Unfortunalty, and I might be out of line with this, not to many big ticket items are made with parts completely from America. I mean every nut, bolt, computer part....

I do try to buy American. Unless the difference in quality is extreme. The price is usually a secondary thought.

If you think Butch's friend's one is bad! :lol: You guys with your big powerful trucks, please don't laugh at mine! I just purchased one of these, three years old with only 7000 miles on it. I got a pretty good deal, the previous owner died (not in the truck) and knowing a used car place owner. He didn't even wash it. My wife is accepting of this being the family car as well now, since we only have one vehicle. She doesn't do much driving, walks or rides her bike for the daily errands. Not a good time for us to be buying a car, but our old Nissan was twenty years old and the body was rusting out. I think in twenty years the Nissan after we purchased it new, never needed anything but some belts, a thermostat, and work on the brakes, it was sad to part with something that gave such good service, RIP. Anyway, this truck is pretty perfect for getting me to tree jobs, otherwise I don't do much driving myself. Pretty zippy thing, I like it. No air or power steering, a basic model, but someone did give me an AM/FM radio to replace the only AM in there. :) I like the truck, it zips around with a 660 cc engine, and gets good mileage. This is an internet photo, but mine looks the same. I swore I would never drive a kai truck....all the farmers have white ones and seeing them all the time used to give me a headache. Oh yeah, high and low speed four wheel drive at the push of a button, pretty useful in the winter especially, can go about anywhere. Maybe if I put some rims on it the thing would get a half of a cool point? Another thing about kai trucks here is that the required two year inspection with taxes is pretty cheap. Practicality over awesomeness these days, I guess....:|: Try to picture it with a big chainsaw in the back. The only problem is figuring out which one is mine in the parking lot when I come out of the large home center. Man, I don't know what happened to me? I used to drive a Chevy.

Attachments

• 2012-daihatsu-daihatsu-2012-daihatsu-hijet-hijet-t-93debf.jpg
    2012-daihatsu-daihatsu-2012-daihatsu-hijet-hijet-t-93debf.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 14
Jay, I like it. I think some custom wood trim would help set it apart from all the others in the parking lot. Do you know anybody who might be able to make something like that? ;)

Stephen, I don't think the kai trucks are street legal in the states, people use them on ranches and golf courses and the like. I'm not sure what the restriction is based upon, though they are a pretty practical vehicle in some respects. There are a few importers in the states and Australia, I see. Yeah, the dumps are even more useful. Over here you can drive the kais on the freeway, they might do about seventy or eighty mph if you can handle the G forces. :\: I hear the Hondas are especially nice for off road, having a positraction rear end or something when in 4wd.

This one was a ranch vehicle and looks like new. The owner said that it could be registered for street, but I doubt it is allowed on freeways per se. Hell, my Willys will only do 45 and it's allowed to go on the free way :lol:

Mine is a five speed plus R, but the automatics are pretty nice if you don't mind the decreased mileage. The home center here has two that they loan out for free to take home your purchases, maximum one hour usage. I discovered that you can do a lot of various errands in an hour requiring a small truck. :D They don't even charge for the gas. The home center one impressed me with it's pep and handling, not having driven a later model for a number of years. The market for the kai trucks is very large, and I had a hard time finding a good used one, due to the demand. They get immediately snapped up. The used car guy told me that basically these days, they are about the only used car that predictably sells.

The weight carrying capacity is officially about 900 pounds, not sure if that includes the driver as well. Bed size is 6' 5" long x 4' 5" wide, and mileage is 40-50 mpg. Real good for tooting around to local jobs, if the bed size and weight capacity suits.

Jay, that truck is awesome. I would drive that in an instant. I'd be scared of impact with the huge American vehicles but otherwise, I'd absolutely plop some money down for that truck. Period.

Ranger, I was borrowing it for a sudden trip a few hours away and wanted it for the fuel mileage. I told my customers that. It sparked conversation. Locked the work.

Back