The Truck Thread

Looks pretty good to me. Much the same as mine except for the storage and mine is a Toyota and a bit older.

My mate had an Izuzu like it, a couple of years earlier model. Good little truck, he only sold it because he got out of the business.

You can get into some tight spots with trucks like these, should suit your area well.8)

Some day I would like to pull up on a motor cycle with a side car like Bob (?) had with the gear and do a prune or HO clean up TD. That would be awesome. Small trailer for the saws :D

Like this?

wallace+gromit+motorbike.jpg

What do y'all think about this one as a potential chip truck? I like the size. I like that it has storage. The seller is willing to make a deal. What probs do y'all foresee? It doesn't have a hitch right now, but that can be added (I think). I'll probably be getting a 6" or MAYBE 9" chipper.

I don't like that it's not made in the USA.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?ohid=3281529

ServeImage.aspx

Perfect truck,A bc 1000 vermeer would be good behind that.

I would think about attaching the storage box to the frame. Every time you dump that all your gear will bounce around.

What do y'all think about this one as a potential chip truck? I like the size. I like that it has storage. The seller is willing to make a deal. What probs do y'all foresee? It doesn't have a hitch right now, but that can be added (I think). I'll probably be getting a 6" or MAYBE 9" chipper.

I don't like that it's not made in the USA.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?ohid=3281529

ServeImage.aspx
Lots of mile on that one. Did it always have that box on the back or did the chassis have another life somewhere?

Ed... That's the idea with out the dog.. :lol:

Nick... I personally would love one of those. I like their compact size and people that I have known love the truck. Probably work real good in LA for you in those tight places. The alleys in the valley and West LA come to mind. Venice... Oh yeah :)

You can get into some tight spots with trucks like these, should suit your area well.8)

Probably work real good in LA for you in those tight places. The alleys in the valley and West LA come to mind. Venice... Oh yeah :)

That's exactly what I'm thinking!

I would think about attaching the storage box to the frame. Every time you dump that all your gear will bounce around.

Yeah- you're right. I was sorta looking the other way and pretending it wasn't going to be a problem. :) My real thought was that it didn't matter for 90% of my gear. It woud only matter for saws and power tools (I think). Perhaps there'd be a way that I could brace the saws inside so they don't bounce around.

Lots of mile on that one. Did it always have that box on the back or did the chassis have another life somewhere?
You got me on that one. As I understand it, diesel engines are good for like a million miles or something like that, so this one is, in a matter of speaking, quite young.

Why might that be? As Steve testifies, Isuzu makes a good truck.
Whenever possible I prefer to support local companies. Has nothing to do with quality.

love
nick

I understand where you're coming from Nick. When my investment friend got me rolling he wanted American made or nothing. Honestly Toyota is more American made these days than Ford. And IMO Chevy should be history. I guess my point is, when in business, you need to be smart about your purchases. If your budget says F 350 with 100,000 mi, then you find the best truck with the best track record you can for the same price as that F 350. If the F 350 is it then you're done. Truck shopping sucks! Do your homework and you'll find what fits yours needs for the right price. Good Luck!

Get the truck that suits your location, budget, and work style. Buying American is nice. However, when you buy an import vehicle, you pour plenty of profits into the American economy. You bring profit the the dealer/seller, the parts store/dealer, the local mechanic/dealer, etc. Buying American isn't as cut and dry as it sounds. I can buy American made stuff all I want. Where did the raw materials come from? And vice versa. It's complicated.

Come to find out, 80% of the lumber out of my local sawmill ships to Asia.

Exactly. It's far more complex nowadays then just buying American. I prefer to buy from mom and pop operations over big chain stores as opposed to buying American only. I do love buying American. But i SEE tangible results from spending money on homegrown businesses.

Nah- it's not that complicated. From a marketing standpoint, "Ford" warms the cockles of the heart more that "Isuzu" does in most of my clients. Most aren't going to do a bunch of background research to verify exactly where each part comes from and WHO put it on the truck. Ford=USA , Isuzu=Not USA

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3BN1jSpiyIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

doesnt California have 'clean idle' certifications for diesel trucks? Sounds expensive.

Keep in mind that maintenance, which is necessary to hit those million miles, is more costly on diesel trucks as I understand it.

Back