The Truck Thread

12,500 gvw for a 350, maybe a smidge more for the newer ones.

Figure 8-9k for a 4x4 w/ a diesel. so say thats only 35-4500lbs for payload. 7-8 yds of chip in theory.

I wouldn't go over a 9' bed on a 350, and no more than 5' high box. mines 6' high, tows like a bastard but never said it was legal. :)

You'd be surprised too how fast they fill up with prunings, all that leafy shit.

IMAG0478.jpg

This truck is too heavy by a good margin with a full load of chips on.

Nick, I am curious. How many cubic feet are in a yard in your mind?

Hah. Good question. Obvious answer is 27. The number above came from some confusion from a previous thread (the chip-weight thread) where I figured out the fastest way to determine the weight of a load of chips is LXWxHx20....but above I did LWH/20 for some reason.

love
nick

You can click here to see how I came up with the formula.

If an 8x12x6 box is too big for a F350, I'd rather get a smaller chip box than get a bigger truck. Some of the hills around here are crazy and that is where most of my money is, so if I can't get around the hills, I'm stuck renting a pickup and stacking branches again.

I'll try to get the dimensions of the other aluminum box that is in illinois. It was already mounted on a F350, so maybe it was already smaller.

Nick,

Just to save a buck. You can easily get a used truck with a mason dump, and do what I currently am with an aluminum insert. Mason dump are dime a dozen.

Or just get a flat bed, and have a bed built into the stake pockets. Will save a ton a money, be customizable, and WORK.

I plan on changing my body on my truck as it's too heavy. A new aluminum flatbed will cost about $3,000 and save 1,000+ lbs. A new custom chip box built by me probably cost 2,000 for materials.

Think outside the box a little.

No flats near me by no means. This truck hauls some shit!

Attachments

• DSC00291.jpg
    DSC00291.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26
A 350 mason dump might be just the ticket for you Nick. It'll hold plenty of chips, especially if pruning is your main staple, low registration/tire/brakes/fuel cost, and plenty of power to do the job.

Actually most masons here seem to drive trucks with flatbeds. A couple stake pockets, some lumber and they have a mason bed without the expense.

FWIW Nick, I have had my plywood box for two years and the only problem I have is that now with the BMG I load too many logs in the truck and it is getting beat up. It cost me $115 including paint. I had intended to build one like Brendon, but stepped into a stumper instead. I tried to post a pic, but my IPad won't allow it.

Back