The Truck Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm jealous of people with mechanic skills. It's right up there with being a doctor, I think.

I started removing the motor and tranny from my 1994 pickup Friday. I bought another used motor and tranny for $1100. We'll see how it works out. I have it ready to remove it, save for attaching the lifting stuff to the motor and I think I have to raise the tranny up a little to remove the crossmember that it is resting on.

Attachments

• Photo1762.jpg
    Photo1762.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 10
Turned 80K miles today. It had barely 50K on it when I bought it four years ago. 11,600 hours on the hour meter.

IMG_2125.jpg

Today we pulled the front outrigger and resealed the cylinder. I was concerned about the scraping on the steel rectangular tube but there's only one wear pad on the top and it's in good shape. I think the outer tube may have gotten tweaked last year when I dropped the big log on the headache rack (which is welded to the boom support, which is welded to the outrigger tube). Here's a couple pictures from this morning. With me doing most of the removal and reassembly, I paid them $200 plus lunch. I greased the crap out of the underside of the tube where it was rubbing and with the rebuilt hydraulic cylinder it works much better now.

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

Awesome. I need to get my main cylinder on the boom repacked. Its leaking when the truck sits for a few days.

And the water pump is doing the same. From what I read that is how a cat water pump is designed to let you know it's failing.

There is a seal to keep water out of the main bearing. There is a weep hole on the other side of the bearing so that if the seal fails, it will leak so you can replace it before the bearing fails.

And owning a boom truck is a constant battle staying on top of the hydraulic leaks. At the beginning it was a bit overwhelming but now I just take it in stride and deal with them one at a time. Constantly look at any and all hoses and connections and try to schedule time to deal with any signs of leakage before it fails completely. It's not terribly difficult. My next step is replacing a couple of chaffed lines at the top of the boom. No biggie as long as I don't ignore them until they fail.

This is thebearing in the water pump itself correct??
Just talked to the truck shop. They will have both problems fixed by Friday!!

What were you doing before you bought your boom truck Brian? Climbing everything?

jp:D

For many years, I don't miss it to be honest. August will be 8 years since I bought my first bucket truck.

Good deal, Scott. The water pump is a pita to access. I just did mine a few months ago.

Dang Brian looking good with the maintenance but man that far outrigger looks like it's barely on your cribbing? My truck is up for it's bi-annual chassis inspection in the next week or two. Hopefully no issues.

I appreciate you looking out for me but it's just the angle of the picture, Skwishey. Good eye! It was only overhanging about an inch but the edge is rolled up so it looks like more.

Good luck on the chassis inspection. I assume you've been looking it over yourself so you should have no problems.

Yup, nothing I'm aware of. I just pump it full of grease and shine it up real nice before it goes in, never a problem it seems.

I kinda figured it was the angle in your pic but it does make it look a little precarious. I fingered you had it under control, just had to rattle your chain a bit. Lol.

The load is centered on the pivot pin attaching the outrigger foot so as long as that doesn't go past the edge of the cribbing then I'm good.

Tarzota

Just found this thread. Hope youins aren't getting tired of me yet...as you may be able to tell, I'm bored. Anyhow, I'm kinda proud of my little tree climbing rig..the "Tarzota" :). Picked up the topper for free and had to shorten it. It has side boxes where I store a multitude of tools and gear, and my vise which I can slide into my receiver and is vertically adjustable. I copied a friend of mines factory built slide and built these two:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-_4noMI6PI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-_4noMI6PI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

And you can't miss my horn...LOL. I could not help myself with this horn. Last Summer I signed up to fall timber on fires and was required to have a working horn...well, here was my solution!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VK9R6E3HNCo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VK9R6E3HNCo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back